• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

German Potato Salad

I dont have an exact recipe but I make a german type tater salad often.

Cook your taters to desired doneness

then I add finely chopped onion, red pepper chunks left big enough for people to avoid, and black olives - halfs or small whole ones.

Then I make a simple dressing with olive oil, dijon mustard, redwine vinegar, lemon juice, and salt n pepper.

Wish I hade measurements but this is one I just wing. Oh I also add some cajun seasoning and parsely. I like it equally well warm or chilled.

A simple non mayo salad...

kitchy, I believe I may be able to help you out. This is a favorite in my household. Came from my very 'German Great-Grandma' German Potato Salad: Boil enough potatoes to make 2 full qts of sliced potatoes. Brown 6- 1/4" thick slices of diced bacon and drain, but save the grease! Now cook in a large pot: 1 1/4 cups of water, 1/2 cup granulated white sugar, 2/3 cup vinegar, 2 tsp salt, dash black pepper, 2 Tbsp cornstarch (made into a paste with a little water), 1 chopped onion, 1 1/2- 2 Tbsp butter, and 2 Tbsp of the saved bacon grease. When this mixture is 'thick and glossy' pour it over the sliced boiled potatoes and let stand for at least 1 hour before serving. Keeping it warm during this time. The longer it sets, the more flavor will absorb into the potatoes. It gets even better with age (to a point grin)! Phred52

Thanks Phred. I know it's got to be good with all that delicious bacon (worlds most perfect food) in it. I will give it a try. I'm assuming red potatos are the way to go? I just picked some from my garden that should work great.

Kitchy, Sorry I didn't get back at ya earlier. As far as the peels, In the German Po salad, Granny always peeled them, Her American Po salad, she did both ways. I always peel them, boil then slice. I don't see why it would hurt to peel, slice then boil as they'll cook quicker. Humm, I may need to try it, What could I lose??!! I'm glad to hear the recipe was a hit! I come from a community where "you can't swing a dead cat" without hitting someone that's got a bunch of German in them! gringringrin Though the eatin's always good!! Phred52

I believe you will find the potatoes will have a grainy, mushy texture if you slice them before hand. They would tend to absorb too much water in the cooking process, due to a larger surface area in contact with the cooking water. A rough chop on the potatoes would work however to reduce the cooking time, and you wouldn't have to mess with them after they were cooked either.