• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody fish the Striaght River by Park Rapids

snowgoose

I was wondering if anybody could give me any info on trought fishing on this river.
Is it easy to access it? Is there a good place to fish for a first timer to that river?
Thanks for any help you can give me
Snow Goose

Yep, there's numerous places to access the river, mainly at the road bridges. 11-mile is good, as are the ones further downstream. There's also a DNR managed area at the end of mile 6 road, I believe that's the one. This area is right in the middle of a swamp, so the mosquitos can be nasty at times. But there are some really deep holes that I know hold nice trout. I've found that the Straight is hit or miss as far as productivity, but there are plenty of deep holes, snags and weedbeds to hold trout. I've had better luck fishing nymphs rather than dry flies. Weighted scuds and beadheads will work better in those deeper holes. The local bait store and DNR office in Park Rapids also have maps and info on the Straight...as I found out, they are worth talking to if it's your first time fishing this stream. Good luck.