• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Infatuation w/ Antlers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vistor great post I couldnt agree more.....its sort of like CPR or Catch & Release or Selective harvest in fishing. I first got into bow hunting back in 05, and just love it because mainly of the reasons as to what BobT said, it is nice having a longer season. I have been gun hunting since 98 and if gun season was moved back to december I for one would totally quit, because I love ice fishing and spearing especially during early ice so there would be conflict of interest there. As there already is a conflict with fall fishing & bow hunting for me (luckly I'm not a avid duck hunter). I guess back to the discussion, it all boils down to what Visitor said in that its up to us who shoots what and if we let that spiker go or basket rack.

I hunt for meat so im not afraid to shoot a doe or fawn, and I use to shoot whatever goes by but my rule of thumb now is that I already shot a nice 6 pointer a few years ago for my 1st buck kill with a bow so I will wait for something bigger for my next buck kill with a bow and for gun its 8 points so next buck kill has to be bigger than an 8. I see the importance of letting smaller bucks go because small bucks don't get big if they are dead.

And I really think if you want to grow big bucks (for the trophy hunter guys) in your area or property give them the resources to grow big racks...(food plots, clear cutting for new regrowth, start a mineral lick, plant oak trees, apple trees, cedar and pine, etc) All these things work and help out just not the bucks but the does and fawns too. I really think the one overlooked resource hunters don't use, its cheaper and lots less work compared to a food plot is a mineral lick. I bow hunt in farm country so I figure the deer get enough beans, alfalfa, winter oats, browse and corn just from the farmers, that they don't need another field/food plot but they don't get enough minerals in their diet so creating a mineral lick area really draws in the deer, and helps out the local herd.

Quote:
I hunt for meat so im not afraid to shoot a doe or fawn, and I use to shoot whatever goes by but my rule of thumb now is that I already shot a nice 6 pointer a few years ago for my 1st buck kill with a bow so I will wait for something bigger for my next buck kill with a bow and for gun its 8 points so next buck kill has to be bigger than an 8. I see the importance of letting smaller bucks go because small bucks don't get big if they are dead

I do think that his type of thinking is slowly catching. And that is a good thing. If more people thought like that, we wouldn't need politicians and the DNR regulating. I think they are really at a loss trying to satisfy everybody

Quote:
I hunt for meat so im not afraid to shoot a doe or fawn, and I use to shoot whatever goes by but my rule of thumb now is that I already shot a nice 6 pointer a few years ago for my 1st buck kill with a bow so I will wait for something bigger for my next buck kill with a bow and for gun its 8 points so next buck kill has to be bigger than an 8. I see the importance of letting smaller bucks go because small bucks don't get big if they are dead

I do think that his type of thinking is slowly catching. And that is a good thing. If more people thought like that, we wouldn't need politicians and the DNR regulating. I think they are really at a loss trying to satisfy everybody

I'm not sure that we need to regulate it anyway. This is the kind of thinking that is an example of some groups desire to force other groups into doing things their way to achieve their particular goals. In this case, increased rack sizes and numbers of bucks.

If the biologists in charge of managing our deer herd feel it is in the best interest of the species then yes, I'll support it. But, when it's for the purpose of pleasing the desires, whims, and views of a small segment of the hunting population then I'm afraid I can't support it.

vister I agree with you on this one it is up to the hunters to make the choice, unfortunately to many people(in my opinion) make a split second decision and kill the deer before they think about what this animal could become, alot of them also are unable to practice what they preach I personally enjoy watching the little ones walk around and wander away for me its like releasing a 29" walleye it just feels good. example last year I hunted on my future father in-laws land first thing he tells me dont shoot the button bucks I figure fair enough its his land his rules I wouldnt shoot them anyway. the first gun season comes along my fifteen year old is hunting his land same rules. the second gun season comes along when fater in-law and his group hunt. I stopped out that sunday to see how they did you got it button bucks nine of them. I just stood there in amazment thinking what the f#%$. they were so proud of there big weekend all I could say was wow they arent going to grow much for antlers now. he must have been feeling smug cuz now i have to hunt somewhere else.. im just rambling out of frustration now

Trigger Im confused to your statement about my way of thinking? I just think our rules in this state are fine (considering how big our state is and the vast aray of habitats & topography landscapes) as long as the DNR wildlife biologists have a good feel of what the deer herd is like for the most part. I do agree to many politicians and special interests/consituinates have their fingers in to much of the rule/regulation making when it comes to hunting or fishing. I feel sorry for you guys in Zone 3 this year (SE Minnesota) cuz wow that is a load of moose dung in how those rules are written! Some interest groups totally had their paws on those laws while going through legislation.

To much monkey business, Just let me bow hunt and give me a chance to actually see a few deer a year regardless buck or doe or fawn..they all give me a rush when they come with in 15 yards of my stand!!

Everyone hunts for many different reasons, some of us hunt for the meat, some for the antlers, some for the deer camps & family/friends, some for scenery & fact they are away from the office or actually in the woods and not on the couch listening to the wife, etc... But we all hunt deer, and no one group is favored or should be favored than any other! I could go on for 5 more pages but its a mute point, Im just glad there is a venue to voice a guys opinion on here! thanks for listening

Or even moot.... wink

Guess it comes back to the same old "Everybody has their own goals". For some its to see a deer. Then two. Then a buck. Then a bigger buck. How can I improve MY hunt?

If you really want to be honest, how does the ecosystem care what sex or size of a deer is eating the browse or feeding the yotes and wolves? It sure doesn't care if it's feeding me by my own hand or have something to hang on the wall.

Our herd is pretty healthy statewide, just a bit younger than some would like (including me). The DNR seems to be focused on controlling the numbers for the ecosystem first, sex ratio second, age and size third.

If you want third - first in your area, it's up to you.