• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beginner's help wanted

Chris-Neises

I'm thinking about fishing for trout this year. I bought some waders last year and I had a blast catching fish. I have never tried for trout, and I dont't think I have the right kind of tackle. Could someone recommend a few tackle tips. I would like to keep the price fairly low as I am on a stricter budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris,

If you come to Trout DAY on May 1st, you will get more than likely more info than you need to get started. If you can't make that, specify a bit and we can try to get you statrted here.

SPin fishing, fly fishing, where you plan to fish etc etc.

Forestville Mystery Cave State PArk for Trout Day! When you come, look me up, I'll do what ever I can to help you out!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Chris-Neises, if you don't already have a rod I suggest a medium action spinning rod between 5 1/2 ft. to 6 1/2 ft.

Spool it with 6-8 lb test line.

It's hard to beat a spinner or rapala.

Sliver and gold spinners in size 1-3 will work great on any trout stream.

Black-silver, shinner, creek chub, orange and blue rapalas in size 7-11 will also catch trout in any stream.

That will get you started, but like Jim W said if you want to learn a ton about trout fishing then make it a point to attend Trout Day in Forestville State Park, May 1st.

Sarge, Jim W, Spindoctor and I will be there with are brains open for picking. grin.gif

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Chris-
I'm a flyfisherman now, but for spinners I would recommend using Panther Martins if you fish the SE MN streams. They have the internal blade that allows you to fish them slower than traditional spinners. You can also jig Mr. Twisters (natural colors like white or crawfish) in deeper holes or around tree/root snags, especially from the topside drifting down in. Haaad

Hey there, I'm a flyfisher when it comes to trout, but there is absolutely no difference really except the way you cast. There's no reason you can't use flies with a spinning rod. Especially nymphs, heck, most flyfishing guys use a bobber (they call it a "strike indicator" - heh) a split shot, and a lure (a nymph fly you can get for a buck). Chuck a tiny bobber with an ultralight to the top of a good riffle and let it drift downstream. When the bobber stops, you have a fish. Or a snag. You can also use crappie jigs. It works great.