• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catch and Release around SB Root River

Hilpy

I'm travelling from Chicago to the SB of the Root next Friday...Can't wait. Is the catch and release season open on Friday? If so, what part of the SB can I fish? What are the regulations?

We will be staying at the old barn campsite and I would like to walk tot he river and fish on Friday.

Thank you for your help on this.

-A Chicago boy, but MN in heart and soul.

welcome aboard Hilpy

all of the streams in southeastern MN are open for C&R barbless hooks only. the river is in great shape for this time of year.

hope you do well

------------------
Troutman72

CPR <(((<

troutman,

"great shape", I like your positive attitude!

Myself, I would be less optimistic on the current conditions. However, I will be out there todday myself, giving them catch and release fish a run for their money!

Hilpy:

I would encourage you to concentrate your efforts during low light periods and on/near
faster water/riffles near large deep runs and holes!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

Thank you both for the intel. I can't wait any longer. The permission slip was signed and now I'm off the BAss Pro to buy a bunch of stuff I don't need.

Any other tips or pointers?

--Hilpy
MN native, assigned to Chicago where the steelhead are huge...just like the cost of living, freeways, congestion, etc.

Hilpy, welcome to FM!

When the water is low like it is now natural colored lures work best.

Trout can also see very far when the waters low, so make long cast and keep a low profile when coming up to a hole. If the trout see you coming it will be all over before you even make a cast.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"