• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line Twist

CAB

I have had many a frustrating moments caused by line twists and knots. What can one do to minimize this effect. I am very careful in the way I load the line unto the spool. When fishing trout I rarely use swivels due to the added profile to my presentation. I try to stay away from spinners as they have a tendancy to spin out of control and twist my line. I primarily use raps/jigs for fishing. Any advise!

CAB,

Not much you can do when using spinners if snap bearing swivels aren't an option.

I would recommend under-spooling some and maintaining new line. Line that has good memory can help as well.

Also, if you plan on just using spinners, going with a heavier test line might help as well!

Some spinners come with rotating bodies, but even some of those don't work correctly all of the time.

If the bite is only on spinners, you will have to deal with some line twist, if not incorporating swivels etc.

I like to switch off lures as well. This could help alleviate major twist too!

I guess , to me, getting caught in a low hanging branch over a prime trout hideout is far worse of a scenario!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Cab, when putting on the line be sure the lable is faced down.

When your on the water and having problems, find a section of fast water. Go to the top of the fast water and feed your line into the water. Let out about 50 ft. and hold it in the current. The current will slowly untwist your line. This should only take a few minutes depending on how badly your line is twisted.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

I have always watch the line come off the spool when loading my reel with new line. After several turns I stop and if the line has twists in it, I flip the spool over and continue to wind up the new line.
That other trick you mentioned about holding your line out in fast water. I've done that numerous times out in the boat at WOT. It never occurred to me to try using the forces of Mother Nature. Good tip...
Jim, you mentioned line memory. I have had good results with the Berley Fireline(2/6). When you say memory, do you mean how much the line stretches? Would Fireline be an example of low memory line. The problem I have using this line is it does not handle abrasions to well.
I guess you have to look at it as a trade off. High memory line, line twist. Low memory line, nicks and break-off's