• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hunting license, need some input.

alwaysgonefishin

Hello all. I need some input for the following situation.

Three years ago I went to my local hardware store to purchase a big game hunting license and was asked if I had my firearm safety certificate number, in which I responded no. The lady told me that I needed the firearm safety number to obtain the license, and proceeded by telling me it was either my social security number, or my drivers license number. She then entered my drivers license number as the firearm safety number, and the system accepted it, and I received my hunting license. This year I contacted the dnr office to obtain a copy of my hunters safety certificate and he said I wasn't on file. I am sure I took the course 17 years ago when I was 12 years old, but they don't have me on file. How is it that I can obtain a hunting license without the dnr having me on file as completing the safety course? I am really confused now, and am not sure what to do for this years upcoming hunting season. Any advice or opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance --Q--

Looks like you're right on the bubble!

Were you born after December 31, 1979..?... if so you'll have to take the Firearms Safety Training course. They do have an Independent Study for Adults that is mostly done On-Line. If you were born before December 31, 1979 then you don't need the Firearms Safety Training Certificate to get your hunting License... smile

Here you go...

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms_isa/index.html

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms_isa/procedures.html

always good to refresh every once in awhile to

No kidding. I sat through the Richfield American Legion course last year with a friends kid and I learned a few things along with refreshing some of the basics that we sometimes forget in our old age!.. smile

I would check the back of your DL as stated above. In MN it is considered an Endorsement.

In my case on the back of the licence about a third of the way down.... ENDORSEMENTS: SNOWMOBILE, FIREARM CERTIFICATE.

The only extra card I carry is my Advanced Hunter Ed. (bowhunter saftey). That I had to get to go out west.

I did check my DL, and it says none for endorsements. I'm just wondering if maybe I made a mistake in thinking I took the course when I was young, but never did and somehow found a loophole in the system. I'm curious as to how they can issue a hunting license if you have never taken the required courses, because that is what seems to be the case for me, because according to them I have never taken the firearms safety course. I just want to make sure that things will be good if I take the safety course to get a hunting license, considering they should not have issued me one for the last three years. I am a law abiding citizen, and somehow I feel as if I have broke some laws. I was prior military, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. It does help that I don't have to take field exam, but otherwise I am still confused.

You still need the one day Field/Exam test. The Independent Study On-Line Course just allows you to avoid the class sessions.

You haven't broken any laws it sounds like a technical glitch on the DNR's part.

Get started tonight on this and all will be well!

Ok, I love to hunt and I just didn't want this whole thing to prevent me from being able to hunt. I have always obtained the proper licenses and stamps, and hunted the proper legal way. I'm not sure if it's a new law that took effect this year or not, but prior military who show completion of basic training are exempt from the field exam. They still must complete the classroom or online study, but do not have to take part in the range portion. Thanks for your advice PierBridge, it is much appreciated.