• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jeez, it never rains but it pours

Now our other 4Runner, a 1992, has started giving us a single click when we turn the key. Sometimes it'll turn over right away, other times you've got to turn the key repeatedly to get it to turn over. Sometimes it'll turn over for a few revolutions and then quit. All lights and electrical accessories work at all times. The problem happens in both park and neutral.

There is some corrosion/buildup on the battery terminals/cable ends. My guess is either a bad connection, bad cable or the starter solenoid.

Maybe the luck that visited me with the other 4Runner's problem is still around, and all I'll have to do is clean the battery terminals and cable ends and tighten all connections to battery and ground and solenoid.

Here's hoping!

Anything else I should be looking at?

OK, it wasn't the corroded terminals or cable ends. I cleaned all that up sparkly with wire brush/sandpaper and tightened all the connections I could get my hands on. I can't even begin to get my hand down to where the starter is so I can't tell if that connection is tight.

It makes two simultaneous clicks, one in the engine compartment and one that sounds like it's coming from just behind the glove compartment. Either that or it's the sound traveling oddly.

All the fuses/relays in the box under the hook look intact. Are there some additional ones inside the cabin but behind the glove compartment? And if so, could there be an issue there? I'd guess that if it was a fuse/relay, it would fail completely, not work intermittently.

If it's a starter, solenoid or connection on the solenoid it's going to have to go into the shop. Does anyone know if the solenoid is inside the starter or if it bolts to the outside? I can't get a good enough look at it to tell.

If it's a Nippandenso starter with the solenoid mounted on the outside of the starter, sometimes the contacts in the solenoid can be replaced for a few dollars and the starter will work fine again.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The disc in the solenoid has burnt spots on it, and when repetedly trying over and over, the disc moves to a good spot, and it will crank over.

That is correct, If that is what is happening. The starter will have to come out to replace the parts so you have to decide if you want to replace the parts (if they give you that option) or replace the starter. I would check into the cost of a dealer remanufactured vs, an aftermarket remanufactured. You may be surprised.

That is correct, If that is what is happening. The starter will have to come out to replace the parts so you have to decide if you want to replace the parts (if they give you that option) or replace the starter. I would check into the cost of a dealer remanufactured vs, an aftermarket remanufactured. You may be surprised.

Airjer is correct. I work for an small repair shop, and have found out that OEM part are somtimes the same price, and sometimes even less than aftermarket. It is well worth checking into. Another thing to look into is new, verses remanned. Sometimes they are not much more, and have a longer warranty on them.

What is the labor rate up there? $30 an hour?

Cheapest shop rate I've found in Ely is $60/hr, and it goes to $80/hr or a bit over. And believe me, I've looked. Unless you wanna go shade-tree, and then you're talking a case beer rate. Who wants your mechanic silly on beer while he's estimating how much you're worth?

There's one import expert 10 miles west of town, but he's had bad health issues, so as good as he has been for us, that's no longer an option.

My motto: Ely, where the End of the Road means the End of your Wallet. shockedshocked