• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am teaching a hunters safety class tonight?

kc0myy

Hey guys I am hunting a hunters safety class tonight. what I wanted to know is. what would you guys like me to teach the class? like tips and tricks in the woods. or saftey things they should be tought that over looked.

I think both would be great, try not to do the same stuff every teacher does, i think tips and tricks would be great, for saftey maybe read through some of the accidents from last year, you would be really surpised what some of them say.

Remind them Hunting is not about shooting, is is about enjoying the entire experience. After the shot is when the real work begins.

Teach them to be cognizant of their surrounds. What is behind the their target? Don't assume they are the only person out there.

Tell them ethics are defined in the moment and supported by actions. Suggest they always view how their actions are perceived by others, keeping in a positive light helps ensure our hunting future.

And to you, THANKS for volunteering you time for our youth!

Preparing the students for the exam, while keeping their interest is going to be the biggest challenge. The 11 yr olds have a very short attention span, and are not going to have much or any experience. Back when I took the class 20 years ago, the barrells on display (that exploded from being shot with an obstruction) and hands on practicing our methods to carry a gun had the biggest impact on me.

I've also noticed a lack of ethics, and lots of tresspassing problems lately in the field. As our population increases and the available land decreases, we are going to have more of these issues. That would be a great topic that wasn't a big deal when I took the class.

well thank you for all the in put. this is my 4th class so far. so I wanted to ask the other hunters around minnesota here what problems they have been seeing and hearing about. I hit the ethics in my class but I guess I should hit it harder. ethics are they laws but are rules we should and need to follow for this great sport to keep on living.

Hey guys I am hunting a hunters safety class tonight. what I wanted to know is. what would you guys like me to teach the class? like tips and tricks in the woods. or saftey things they should be tought that over looked.

Is this different from a firearms safety course?

FWIW, I took mine in a school gymnasium about 30 years ago. The thing I really remember, and now do like clockwork, is check each and every gun I ever pick up to see if it is loaded.

Here is what they did - they were teaching us about "aiming" and how rifle is different than shotgun is different than pistol. Well, they had us line up, and then took turns looking down the barrel of each, then handing the gun to the next person.

When we all were done, we sat back down, and the main guy says, "Remember the first thing you do when soembody hands you a gun?" We all said, check to see if it is loaded... well he said, "Did you all check to see if it was loaded?"... we all sat there like idiots...., huh? we are not really using it out in real world, just checking out aiming....

HE FIRED THE RIFLE... a .22..... it obviously was blank, but it scared the carp out of all of us, including adults who were taking the course... none of us checked to see if it was loaded... The main guy was obviously ticked off, and he let us have it. I remember that to this day, and he taught us a great lesson. I am sure none of us ever picks up a gun now without checking the action.

So, if you can do anything that is out of the ordinary, or WILL get the attention, I think that will help.

Good luck, and good work on the teaching the kids, and older newcomers to the sport too.

FWIW, I took mine in a school gymnasium about 30 years ago. The thing I really remember, and now do like clockwork, is check each and every gun I ever pick up to see if it is loaded.

I remember taking mine in the school gymnasium too. I remember laying down at the half court line and shooting paper targets with a BB gun at the end of the class. Imagine that happening now!

In a class that one of my kids took the instructor had every kid that could bring in a gun. Every class they formed a circle and passed the guns around, each time going through the safety check, proper handling, asking if you didn't know what you were doing etc. A family may only have one or two guns and this was a great way to get exposed to all sorts of different guns.

Firing the blank seems like a good idea but nowdays you'd probably have to call the medics for someone and then end up getting tossed out of the instructor ranks when some whiner complained.

I like BoxMN's suggestion of making something really stand out. I took gun safty in a town hall over 45 years ago. They did a demonstration I still remember to this day. I also often think about it while hunting. They had two kids sitting on a bench (boat) both had guns (may have been brooms). While we watched from behind, one guy threw a cap (duck) across the room he had the kid on our right follow the "duck" with his "gun". As the duck flew from our left to right he had the second "hunter" jump up to shoot. Here was the picture left in our minds. The kid on the left was standing up shooting at the "duck" while the kid on the right was sitting down pointing his "gun" directly at the other kids head. Scary results to say the least.

When I teach, I ask all the people taking the class to get a hunting mentor. Then each week, I give them a homework assignment to ask their mentor a question. Things like:

* Have you ever been checked by a CO and what was the experience like?

* Have you ever seen good/bad ethical behavior while hunting?

* Have you ever had or been around an accidental discharge?

etc.

The last question is trying to get the kids and the mentor out in the field together:

* If we went hunting, where would we go and what would we hunt?

I have had great results with it!

Maybe nobody noticed my question. What is the difference between a hunter safety training program and a firearms safety training program?

I've never heard of a hunter safety training program but it sounds like plenty of you have.

In Minnesota "hunter's safety class" is officially called Firearms Safety Course. A lot of people interchange the terms. In Minnesota they are one and the same. I had to explain that to the license folks out in Colorado when I wanted to get a hunting license out there. In CO everyone must take a hunter safety class before hunting. Minnesota's Firearms Safety does suffice, once they understand what it is. Hope that helps.

Then, aren't there certain minimum criteria that must be taught in order to meet the state requirements? How much freedom do the instructors have with regard to the curriculum?

I love he shooting the blanke idea. but do you think I could get by with that now a days? I would be doing it outside with the gun pointing down range. and of course the students behind me.

Remind them Hunting is not about shooting, is is about enjoying the entire experience. After the shot is when the real work begins.

Teach them to be cognizant of their surrounds. What is behind the their target? Don't assume they are the only person out there.

Tell them ethics are defined in the moment and supported by actions. Suggest they always view how their actions are perceived by others, keeping in a positive light helps ensure our hunting future.

And to you, THANKS for volunteering you time for our youth!

Very well said.

Again, thank you for doing what you are to help educate others.

Hands-on demonstrations and activities. Get them off their butts and practicing what is said. Proper way to hold / carry and hand-over a firearm. Damaged firearms (if available) is another good suggestion.

I believe that the courses should include videos and possibly even interactive "safety games" created by the DNR or similar organization.

Interactive games ... ie. shoot or don't shoot.

Videos on tree stand safety, firearm safety, accidents, wildlife management, bow & muzzle loading (if relevant). Firearm safety at home and friends house ...

Large classes should break-out into smaller groups with team leaders to allow for more individualized instruction.

Invite guest speakers such as local DNR officer.

Repeat often the key firearm safety points.

My older son's class was run by officers in the Ramsey County Sheriff department and was done as well as one could expect.