• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnow ID

DTro

I think you nailed that one DEADhead. Nice. I've never seen OR heard of them before. But according the what I found in wikipedia I have to agree that's what they were.

thanks

Logperch are common in the non-prairie areas of Minnesota in lakes, streams, and rivers. They are found most often in waters that are clear, slow moving to medium swift, and have bottoms of sand, gravel, and boulders. However, they also live in some turbid (cloudy) rivers like the Mississippi. They are often found with white suckers, central stonerollers, blacknosed dace, sand shiners, and other species of darters.

Thats what I found about them and there not on the the MN DNR rare species list.

looks like a baby bluegill to me.

Keep in mind I got some really small ones out of a pike this winter, and found this one after ice out. Wouldn't a blue gill from the spring year class be bigger than that?

the first on is definately a log perch. the second one is definately a panfish of some type. not sure what sepcies it is.

since we are IDing minnows... what is this? i caught it this spring while fly fishing for shiners.

it took a size 18 midge type fly made with red thread.

asa010.jpg

At a glance it does "look" like a bluegill but the shape and like you said time of year is off. I don't even want to guess without knowing what body of water it is from.

Southern MN German lake, and Frances.

After looking at the lakes I would say it is a bluegill. The size of the bluegills on that lake are pretty small and also the pic I posted was from a couple weeks ago. The fish in the lakes you mentioned seem to have poor genetics same as a couple lakes I have fished in my home area. I once kept a sunfish from a local lake and it never made it to 4 inches in a few years. One from another lake was 7 inches in the same amount of time.

the first on is definitely a log perch. the second one is definitely a panfish of some type. not sure what species it is.

since we are IDing minnows... what is this? i caught it this spring while fly fishing for shiners.

it took a size 18 midge type fly made with red thread.

asa010.jpg

Looks like another one of the darters, closely related to the log perch, and in the same family as the yellow perch and the walleye. Possibly the gilt darter.

There are a lot of different darter species, most very small, a whole bunch of which are quite local, and many of them are endangered, also some are gorgeous, but it is usually only the males that are brightly colored, the females are much plainer, but the pictures are almost always of the males; so this may be a female.

The Virtual Aquarium from Virginia Tech's College of Natural Resources has a huge number of pictures of fish from their area; somewhat different types from ours but not in all cases. In regard to the darters most of ours are too local to be native to the East Coast, however.

Darters often come with crappie minnows from bait dealers, usually johnny darters or something very similar. Some suggest they are primo bait, but I have never caught anything on them, and discard them when I find one in a bunch of purchased minnows, and will not harvest them when seined.