• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
CAB

Root River Trout

I will turkey hunting close to the Root River between Rushford and Houston the end of April and was wondering if that section of the Root River contains trout. The DNR map does not show it as designated waters. Any insite on other streams in this general vacinity would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your replies.
I have always preferred fishing trout in non-designated trout waters. Is it my imagination or do the trout grow larger in non-designated rivers? Every brown that I have caught that was over 20 inches have come out of these waterways. I am looking forward to checking out new trout waters.

Let's see, get up at 4am and hunt turkeys until 5pm, grab a quick bite to eat before heading out to the river and fish until dusk. Not to mention the required time around the smart fire. These get-a-ways are really hard on a guy. I don't think my wife really understands just how tough it can be.

Just because the dnr trout streams map show that that area is not designated stream trout waters doesn't mean there aren't trout in there.

The reason why is because the dnr have to shock something like 2,500 trout per mile for it to be designated trout waters. I'm not sure if 2,500 is the actual number, but you get the idea.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Renneberg is on track, but to be designated does't always mean stocking. HOwever this is usual. Designated could indicate stream updates as well. Streams that are managed by the DNR in SE MN are more than likely "designated".

If you take some time to "search", look for waters adjacent to designated streams that are not designated. Often you'll find quite the little gem!

Jim W

CAB,
Enjoy the "non-designated waters" now, cause some folks want a lot of them opened up or designated.

I guess it comes from the "try to fix it when it isn't broke" mentality.

GUARANTEE, that the stream you mention if designated won't demonstrate the yield like it has!

Keep walking and lookin' guys!!!

Jim W

I turkey hunt in the same area. Yes there are a few big cannibal browns in that stretch of the root. The trout grow bigger in non-designated water because there is so much food - suckers, young redhorse, chubs, and dace. But that section doesn't have much access, and trout are kinda scarce. Rush creek is near there though and I've seen 22 inchers come out of there. I don't know if the lower sections are designated or not. East of Houston I have never caught a trout on the root. I've caught a lot of catfish and mooneyes and walleyes.