• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mn Stream Trout Opener!

DARK30

Had a great time down there last weekend. It was great to hit the streams again. Caught plenty of trout. Had two on that were over 20" and lost both. Would have loved to have a pic or two of them! Met a few of the landowners, all were great folk! Now I'm debating if I want to make another trip down or try some of the old spots... hummm...

DARK30,

Waaay to go!!! That is a VERY nice fish!!!
Where did you catch it!LOL

I wish I had your talent for landing large browners!!!

I managed my first 20+er in the bigger waters of the Root during Catch and Release!
It too put up a fine tussle!

SOrry I couldn't make the smart fire!

See you on May 1st for Trout Day!!!

Jim W

Nice fish, Dark!

Loebs, I actually checked out the stream closest to Annandale. Fairhaven Creek? Not sure. It was really low and didn't look at all like it was managed for trout. Maybe I wasn't on the right stretch of water. It looks like the fish counts are pretty low around there, and the water gets kinda warm.

Still, sometimes a guy gets trout on the brain when he's in walleye land. I want to check out the Willow.

Normally, I am very impressed with a fish over 15"....17", I get a woody...over 20 is a downright luxury. I sure wish there were more of them! With the water so low, I've gone further east of my normal haunts. I've been finding some real nice new areas. Did anybody know there's a lowhead dam on the Root at Rushford?

I remember my buddies and I catching and keeping lots of trout out of the Root. I got a picture of a picnic table completely covered with fish...bragging rights? We thought so but that's not the way to take care of a resource as most of us finally figured out. Go ahead and eat some trout...they are really good fresh on the grill! Just keep this very special (limited) resource in mind and consider what (really) is a limit. smile.gif

That 22 grabbed a 3" Mister Twister with a 1/8 oz head. The guys from Willmar downsized to a 2" and caught fish in shallower water.

WET NETS! smile.gif

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Looks Like Me (and) Babe W. need haircuts Eh?...Oh well. Pics from last Sunday night...

22_Inch_Brown_A.jpg

22_Inch_Brown_B.jpg

I love this sign!...

No_Trespassing.jpg

Me and Dark Jr. are heading back down in the morning.

WET NETS! smile.gif

------------------

Just havin fun, I like to throw large plastics for trout. By large I mean nothing less then 3 inches. Biggest topping 7 inches.

Any natural color will work for trout.

If you or anyone else want to talk about solf plastics for trout, you'll have attend Trout Day next weekend. It's at Forestville State Park.

I'm going to be there with some of the plastics I use for trout.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

[This message has been edited by Renneberg (edited 04-26-2004).]

Just havin fun-
Try using natural colored plastics. I've done very well on white and any crawfish colors. Black also works. All of these colors are similar to larger food types: white/silver minnows or sculpins, crawfish on the bottom and swimming leeches. Try jigging Twisters, almost like a crawfish would move.

Well, This weekend proved real hard to get any fish. I think every guy and his brother and sister were on the Root Saturday. I noticed a lot of them were just drinking and dunking but calm water was at a premium for sure...At least in my favorite area. We did find a few browns before it started raining though but nothing real big. I did have a really nice one follow but didn't stay interested. I hope things pick up by next week at Forestville.

Boy, did we load up on crawlers this morning...They were all over the bike trail! I also noticed something I've never noticed before...I found many of them to have had their head portion bitten off and left to lay there basically paralyzed. I saw robins and crows and I'll bet one of them was "immobilizing" the worms so they could feast later on them. I know lots of animals stash food for later including birds but this one is new to me.

We also took a little tour of the hatchery in Lanesboro. I asked one of the guys there about the effects of the ethanol spill that occurred near there a few weeks ago. He said none of the contaminants made it close to the spring and everything looks good.

------------------

Is anyone else disturbed by the photo of that fish on a stringer, and the sign about C&R only? For one, I thought trout fishing ends at sunset. I could be wrong. Second, if the waters are C&R that means put them back. I appreciate keeping trout for the fish fry, but I have fished for trout my whole life. I understand the very special circumstances that must exist to continue the success of this resource. If a trout is going to die from a bad hookset, or swallowed hook in C&R waters, I say take it. But to brag about disregarding the law and keeping anything you want, you might as well go up to Mille Lacs and spear a few Walleye as well.

You can fish for trout until 11pm in Minnesota.

How do you know that Dark30 was fishing on the same river that that sign is posted on?

Where does it say in the regs. book, that its ok, for you or anyone else, to take a trout from a C&R stream if they think it's going to die?

The fact that you just said you think it's ok to take a trout from a C&R stream, if it's badly hooked, tells me that maybe you do/should go to Mille lacs and spear a few walleyes.

What's the point of C&R if people think it's ok for them to keep badly hooked trout from a C&R stream?

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

[This message has been edited by Renneberg (edited 04-26-2004).]

Yikes! Don't get in such a bundle Baily. That fish swam away like a rocket! Just needed to keep it on the leash for a few minutes until my buddy ran like hell for the camera up at the car. And yes, that sign is posted on designated trout waters miles from where I caught the bruiser in non-designated waters.

It was pretty funny..My long time bud (from like 3rd grade) Kirk Delp of Willmar was fishing right where I told him to...NADA! I walked up and smacked it smile.gif what kind of guide would pull that!

Kirk.jpg

Kirk_Release.jpg

WET NETS! smile.gif

------------------

Since it seems I wrongly accussed someone of keeping fish from a designated C&R stream I apologize. The message made it look as if you guys were snubbing your nose to the law. I would not ever tell anyone to keep fish that have been badly hooked, I was trying to understand as to why that one was kept. Obviously it was not.

Since nothing wrong was done, don't get so defensive. If you guys have fished the waters as much as I know you have, you have seen people disregarding the rules. More and more I see people venture down to these streams and keep too many fish or keep fish in the slots.

Anytime I see someone doing these things I will confront them. If I am wrong and look like a jerk, so be it.

NO offense intended here, but it was a bit confusing Dark30. I was wondering what was going on as well! Either way, it's under the bridge and I hope to see both of you Saturday!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!
Jim W

No sweat Bailey, I guess I assume people know my ethics. By the way..that sign was placed by the landowner not the state..anybody could float a canoe down that stretch and dunk all the worms they wanted and keep fish too. (I wish it was a DNR sign!) There's some nice fish in there too...anybody want directions..e-mail me.

WET NETS! smile.gif

------------------

Dark 30, I'd like to know your email also. I'm also trying to figure out how and where to fish the Vermillion. I've flyfished it a few times, but haven't had much luck. almontco @ hotmail.com

Haaad

Nowhere near the Vermilion guys...never fished it. I've been fishing the Root River water shed in Southeastern, MN.

I'm at [email protected] or go to the Catfish forum and click on my name at the top. I'm leaving again tomorrow after work and I'll be a the Trout Day event at Forestville on Sat.

------------------

Bailey27, you should meet Dark30 so time, then you'll see just how good of a man he is.

Bailey27, I also apologize for what I said about you eariler.

Water under the bridge.

I still don't think people should keep trout on a C&R stream even if the trout is badly hooked. The reason is some people out there keep trout from a C&R stream, that would of easily lived, but use the "it was hooked badly, so I keep it" line in order to keep it.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"