• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mn Stream Trout Opener!

DARK30

Well, What stretch is everybody gonna hit? For me, it will be the Root River but exactly where depends on the river levels. I like the main branch between Lanesboro and Chatfield early in the year. The south branch has its hot spots...Hmmmm. I better schedule some time off!

I think the fish bite better for me later in the day on Saturday and Sunday...Just because the Smart Fire in the evening kinda makes it tough to get an early start! smile.gif

I sure am ready for some open water angling! Sitting in a $40,000 Lund catching Blues is nice but hey, I love my $40 waders too!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I'll be in the Root River valley somewhere.

So where will the smart fire being burning this year Dark30? Which opener are you coming down for, release or keep?

Let the count down begin!!

The boys from Willmar are coming for the "keep" but any fish we keep will be eaten right there at the Smart Fire. I'll probably go down earlier and set up at the fairgrounds this year.

How does it look so far? Maybe we can hook up.

------------------

Leah and I were out checking local water conditions Saturday. Some of my favorite spots were looking prime. The water is about 6 inches higher than last fall when the season ended, but still not up to what I would consider normal flow. And the snow melt off did nothing to color the water, back to gin clear everwhere we looked.

Yep, hopefully we can meet up a couple times to do some trout'n, you camping with your boy and his troop for Jim's Trout Day? If not, you welcome to set up camp at my place.

I grew up a few miles from Whitewater so I've done alot of troutn' in Whitewater, Zumbro, and adjoining streams. Amazingly enough, I've only been down to the Lanesboro area fishing once.
The wife just suprised me with a Lanesboro B&B weekend stay that just so happens to be on opener! I'm pretty excited and you guys talkin' is getting me even more so!

If you don't mind me asking, what types of presentation are you generally using? Spinners? Eggs? Any basic colors they seem to like? Everybody has their secrets when it comes to troutin' but I don't expect anyone to share those...
What is the average depth of the main branch when water is at normal depths? Is it fishable on foot or are you better off with a canoe?
Thanks for any advice!

------------------
The Wife says they're Toys, I say they're Tools...

FLoating or on foot. I prefer foot travel.

Can't go wrong with a #9 Orginal floating rapala in the Spring!(Black and silver!)
Or big and flashy silver spinners!

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the great info! WOW! Silver! I don't seem to do as well with silver around my home area. It's usually the walleye colored and green for Raps. That's good to know. I'd better get down to the store and spend a little more money...

Good Fishin'!

I ran down to Preston yesterday to set up the camper and do a little pre-fishing. The trout are biting very well! First cast at one of my favorite holes...bang! a nice 14" The biggest was 19" caught this morning on the main branch. Lots of fish in hand and got spanked plenty too! I never thought I'd do as well with a barbless hook but it didn't matter much.

Saturday, as I lurked across a rock bed towards a nice run deep run, I just happened to look down and I thought.. "no way!" The dark red/burgundy color of an agate instantly caught my eye! I picked up a very nice laker. Now I'm thinking "oh no" I came here to fish. I never thought agates would in all the limestone rubble! Well, I probably could have caught more trout than I did..... but I did find some more nice lakers!

What Next? Mushrooms?

------------------

DARK30,

"Don't look down"!LOL

A 19.....AWESOME!

I managed my first 18-19 on Friday as well.
IF we don't get much rain, them larger fish are going to be a bit hard to come by this year!!!!

See ya!

Jim

Hey Guys, does it get busy down there on opener? I mean, is it insanely busy? I guess I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect when it comes to trying to find a stretch of stream that hasn't had several trouters already walk it by 9 in the morning. Are the ajoining streams to the main branch as busy? Any advice for a novice to the area would be great.

i dont think you will find a untouched section of public stream by 9. but if you know what your doing you will get fish maybe not big ones but fish never the less

------------------
Troutman72

CPR <(((<

Usually you can just give it some time and they'll bite again. I'm outa here! Smartfire or bust! I'll report Monday night smile.gif

------------------

I fished my favorite section of the Vermilion river early this morning with my brother and managed 3 20+ inch browns and 7 12-18 inchers as well. All fish were measured, photographed and released unharmed. To my suprise, we didn't see any other fishermen so we had the whole 2 mile stretch to ourselves. It was a beautiful morning to be out

Vermillion trout????

I was talking to some of the locals and they said that water is way to dirty to eat fish.

This is the same Vermillion river that goes through Dakota county?

I guess if you consider a puncture wound harming a fish, well then,we released 10 fish harmed due to puncture wounds. I'm sure there was additional damage done to the fish by handling/measuring/photographing etc. All appeared to be in great shape when we released them. If 1 or 2 of the fish die due to whatever reason, I can live with that. If I thought that if any of these fish were going to die, they would most definately end up on the grill.
As it was, I ended up stopping at Sams Club and purchased 21/2 lbs of Salmon for under $10.00 and felt good about being able catch these fish again on another day. That is if they survived there puncture wounds.

Fished my favorite little Central MN river and only managed 1 small Brownie, and about a dozen rubber nosed trout. Man the suckers were thick, at least 100 per hole. Yuck, I'm gonna need to wait at least a week till the trout start.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

The four of us caught 8 trout on Saturday at Whitewater. The biggest fish came on nightcrawlers. 3 fish at about 12 to 13". I caught my first trout on a fly rod this weekend. Actually, I caught two. Only about 6 tippet reties and 6 lost flys. But, as the day went on, I got pretty good at it. well, decent anyway.

I just enjoyed being out and getting a line wet.

JPZ,

I currently am going to school in Rochester but I'm from central MN too. I just got into fly fishing this spring and when i move home for the summer i am going to want to keep doing it. What river was that you fished in. Im from the Buffalo area is it near that.

loebs, there are a few little streams south of St. Cloud. I've been meaning to try them. Also, Quarry Park near St. Cloud (Waite Park, to be exact) has some trout and bass stocked in old quarries. Not the same as a stream, but they're pretty clear so you can see fish.

Someone put a post about trout streams on the Annandale area forum.

good luck.

tie flyer,
Have you had a chance to fish them streams or hear of anybody fishing them. I have been looking into them on the DNRs HSOforum. I was surprised, I had no idea there were trout streams so close to home. The fishing probably isnt as good as it is in SE MN but, if I keep fishing down here to the end of the school year I may be able catch a few this summer. If not I guess I'll have to drive an hour or two.
Thanks,
loebs

It proved to be a little tougher to catch fish this weekend as compared to last. I noticed the Redhorse are in full spawn and the trees are dropping bud casings all over...add the army of anglers, low water, and the weather.....Tough Bite!

I did manage (somehow) to catch trout including one trophy 22" Brown....best matchup I've had in a while! It grabbed the lure the instant it hit the water and proceeded to go skyward. After a short tussle and lots of drag testing, I held one of the most beautiful fish I could hope for! I finally had someone along to take pics too...hope they turn out good. I did hear of a guy who caught a 27" Brown that he kept for mounting..They said it was really skinny but had great color.

The Smartfire was just as smart as always smile.gif I know one thing... I'll be heading to bed early tonight!

WET NETS!

------------------