• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR Deer hunt data

I've been watching this forum for quite some time now, and decided to throw in a question for Mr. Cornicelli.

The DNR does a great job at breaking down the deer harvest data, but my question is why does it take 6 months or more after the seasons are over to post the numbers? It's all computerized, everything's run through the electronic licensing system, so it certainly seems like after the first year of using ELS, the template for the data would already be there and would automatically update as the numbers came in from the system. There should be no reason for the numbers to not be ready until July or later

I've been watching this forum for quite some time now, and decided to throw in a question for Mr. Cornicelli.

The DNR does a great job at breaking down the deer harvest data, but my question is why does it take 6 months or more after the seasons are over to post the numbers? It's all computerized, everything's run through the electronic licensing system, so it certainly seems like after the first year of using ELS, the template for the data would already be there and would automatically update as the numbers came in from the system. There should be no reason for the numbers to not be ready until July or later

It usually takes until March to get everything cleaned up and analyzed. Certainly, you are free to call me on the phone and I can go into great detail regarding everything that is required to analyze the harvest data. I actually sent the harvest report over to our web team in late March and I just noticed it never got posted (I don't routinely check our HSOforum because I don't need to). I resent the file after I read the first complaint on this board regarding the length of time it takes. That was an oversight on my part as I didn't check our HSOforum and didn't get a single request all spring for the report. I just presumed it was sitting on our web page when it really wasn't. I just checked our HSOforum and unless it's hidden, it's still not up. I'll deal with it on Monday and make sure it's posted.

Again, if you want to talk about steps I go through to analyze the data and construct the report, please call me. Otherwise, suffice to say it's not so easy as automatically dumping the data into a spreadsheet. For one, registration isn't 100% electronic yet.

Thanks for the direct answer Lou, I appreciate your willingness to come online, with your own name as a user name no less, and answer questions and explain the DNR thought processes. I am not sure if there is another topic in FM where the DNR is so fairly represented. With all of the changes this year, I anticipate a very busy and confusing fall for everyone.....

Thanks for the direct answer Lou, I appreciate your willingness to come online, with your own name as a user name no less, and answer questions and explain the DNR thought processes. I am not sure if there is another topic in FM where the DNR is so fairly represented. With all of the changes this year, I anticipate a very busy and confusing fall for everyone.....

I appreciate that very much but to be honest, there aren't many changes this year. More lottery areas, a few more restrictions on permit use and youth antlerless areas pretty much sums it up. It's minor compared to the last few years! smile Well .. there is Zone 3 but I don't own that one!

Zone 3 is/was my hunting grounds and was what I was refering too. I am heading home to IA this year to hunt with friends/family. We are talking about flip flopping every other year, we'll have to work a little bit to find some land in zone 3 but we have connections