• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crankbait supplies - anywhere local?

I'm beginning to carve my own wooden lures and was wondering if anywhere local to minneapolis carries lips, wire, screw eyes etc.

Anyone know a good local place to pick up basswood? Michaels has carving blocks but they're ridiculously expensive, costing about 4x what I can find online. I might just hit up Home Depot for poplar.

For basswood, try the local tree trimming guys. You would have to cut it up and let it dry yourself, but for objects the size of lures you can just carve it green and let it sit for a couple of weeks before finishing. Just be sure to not have the pith (center) in your work. You can also buy many types of hardwoods at Youngblood Lumber in Minneapolis. Some nice lure carving woods include Poplar, Soft Maple, White Pine, Sugar Pine, Honduras Mahogany, and Butternut. If you want to buy the box store Poplar and plan on making big lures, just glue it together with Gorilla Glue. The stuff is strong and completely waterproof!