• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Creek Chubs and Bullies

pureinsanity

Anyone in the Jordan area have a seine they would like to borrow or use with me? Went out for some bullies tonight and found a nice little school of 4-5 inch creek chubs. I would like to get them all and give them a try on the river. Only caught a couple with my hooks though frown

Also was wondering what the best bait works for bullies?

Ive tried worms, leeches, minnows, gulp, and corn. They all work but it seems every day is different. Anything will help.

Caught a couple bullies on corn, than switched to some gulp and caught some more. only one was keeper size, others were too big frown

What I use is a colored jig with a chunk of crawler on it. The jig acts as a sinker instead of having a separate sinker and then a hook.

My main spot is by a water fall so I end up just letting it sit on the bottom and let the current take my bait and do whatever it likes. works well! I just went with a plain hook and bent the tip in as a make shift circle hook. lipped the bullies every time!

The creeks are so low on oxygen right now that the chubs are lethargic and in some places you can see them struggling to survive. It's not the bait you are using, it's the condition of the chubs. That's the reason a lot of fish inhabit that spot in town, there is a lot of oxygen in that pool. I used to catch some bait there, but anytime I peek down there I see a large group of people surrounding the small pool and putting everything they catch into a plastic walmart bag. smirk

hey Nick Try using an ice jig and waxies for the chubs that is what works best for me and for the bullies in the falls I fish it with a piece crawler on the bottom and that has worked very well for yrs

Caught over 2 dozen last night in about ten minutes last night on a flu flu jig and small piece of nightcrawler. I didnt even need the piece of crawler, they would just bite the plain flu flu. Ratso's work really well too if you have no bait.

hey Nick Try using an ice jig and waxies for the chubs that is what works best for me and for the bullies in the falls I fish it with a piece crawler on the bottom and that has worked very well for yrs

I bet you go fishing right form your buddies house in jordan. I am friends with his neighbor and have talked to him a couple times. the falls is a short walk from his place.

Heres a question: Have any of you older catters noticed the size of creek chubs getting smaller in certain creeks because of the pressure they are gettn? I am doubting anyone you run into pounding creeks isnt about cpr; wonder what kind of long term toll this will have on certain creeks. Any of you other guys wonder on this? Be pre-emtive and put 'em on the endangered list wink.

I agree, if more people recognized Chubs as the game fish they are and practiced selective harvest and C&R we could really see some trophy Chubs be produced in the coming years. grin Heck, if it wasn't for the catfisherman bucket brigade, we would have more people fishing chubs than walleyes!

insanity, i do have a seine, if you wanted i could probably meet up with you after the weekend and catch em'.

there have been several people coming to this spot in the last few days stocking up on chubs for the BP contest. Ill check it out tomorrow and see if there are any big ones left and Ill let you know

Originally Posted By: elwood

I bet you go fishing right form your buddies house in jordan. I am friends with his neighbor and have talked to him a couple times. the falls is a short walk from his place.

acutally we head out of town for chubs and the bullies in the falss hasnt been the greatest this yr so I found another source for them