• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Angel Eyes vs. Glow Devils

New2TheFly

Hey guys,

I'm getting some new tackle for the season and plan to try the much discussed AE or Glow Devils. Can these be purchased individually anywhere? If not I will probably order one or the other as tackle is expensive. If I opt for the AE Jr, can I target more species(crappie/pannies)? I know I should probably purchase both for the right conditions, I'm just curious what you guys feel is the better of the two.

Tight lines

Brian

The hammered gold/red Angel Eye is one of my favorite jigs

That's a great bait for perch and walleyes on Winnie too .... and don't go to LOTW without one either.

I use Angel Eyes more than Jrs and Glow Devils.

Thanks guys.

It sounds like everyone has their own opinion, but the consensus is that these lures work. I seldom fish the states largest lakes in the winter so the AE Jr. will probably be my best bet. Am I better off purchasing a pack of 12 or do you guys tend to stick with a specific color? I don’t want to purchase a pack of 12 just to primarily use 1 or 2 of the colors.

Angel Eye Jr is a good lure when the fish are a bit finicky where the Go Devils doesnt have as much action so you have to put the action into it yourself. Both will catch you fish but if I had little money to spend on them I would go Angel Eye Jr 1st. Hammered Gold/red, Glow Red, Pink/glow, green/glow and orange/chart would be the 1st I got. Always by 2 of each color when you can. It sucks losing your hot bait to a pike and not having another with you.

Exactly Northlander. Thats why I suggested the card of 12 with 6 different colors with 2 of each.

There are times when one color is hot and you need to share with a friend or the wife. Can't have too many when the fish are biting cause all it takes is a bite off from a Northern or 2 and you will have none. I have all the colors that Northlander mention and they have worked on every lake that I have tried them in.The AE have become one of my goto lures. The gold and reds/pink on LOTW and the greens and orange/perch on winni.

Quote:
Always by 2 of each color when you can. It sucks losing your hot bait to a pike and not having another with you.

Agreed Northlander! Nothing worse than loosing the hot lure. For me I usually have one rod rigged with an angel eye, one with a buckshot, one with a forage minnow, and last one rigged up with a sweedish pimple. I find that the angel eye's are much lighter, than any of the other 3 I just listed, so keep in mind with that if your fishing over 20 feet, but they are my go to lure early ice for walleyes. Plus Angel eye's are produced for a much lower cost from JB Lures than a buck shot or forage minnow from Northland. Never used the Go Devils to much, mainly for perch but they do work for walleye but I am more confident with the angel eyes, pimples, buckshots, forage minnows, just a personal preference I guess. Buy both and test them out thats my advice.