• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

scent lok v.s scent blocker

This is my first year bow hunting and i am looking into getting a nice affordable camo suit. I have been looking at the scent lok full season jacket and pants. I was just wondering if that was a good one or not what some opinions are. Also what do most prefer scent lok or scent blocker

Also if you're not going to shower before each hunt you might as well not spend the $$$ on the clothes. If they are part of a strict scent control routine I say by all means go for it but if you are buying them to cover your smell you are wasting your $$$.

I had a Doe (same deer) bust me every night last year. Soon I made the jump and bought my first Scent Blocker suit, I've never been busted since!!! Very happy with the results. But do agree that you still need the scent free shower before hand.

huntnfish & DonBo,

What if the winds switches? You are then S.O.L.

Wind switches? I move. It's not like I go into the woods stinking. I stay as clean as possible and wash my clothes regularly, spray down with scent killer and all the rest. I also rarely get busted, but I believe it is mostly due to good woodsmanship and not some fancy expensive gizmo.

I wouldnt spend money on this stuff. Its not worth it at all. Put what ever camo you have or want to wear in a 10gallon ziplock bag with a couple fresh earth scent wafers for a couple weeks before the season. Your clothes will smell so much like dirt that the deer will never know your there. I spray scent killer fresh earth on before i go in the woods, and it doesnt seem to matter which direction the wind is coming from. They dont know im there. If you just put your clothes back in the same ziplock when you take them off, they will stay safe from other smells, and keep smelling like dirt for the rest of the season. If you take simple steps like this, you can really save a lot of money.

I know what you mean by not thinking its worth it, i dont know if i think it is but have you ever thought just because your not getting busted by does and small bucks, that your not seeing the illusive mature bucks. just a thought

A mature doe can be just as, if not more sensative to foreign smells in the woods than large bucks. Also, most people just never see large bucks because they are either nocturnal, or they simply dont have large caliber deer in their spot. Ive seen a small handful of really large bucks while in the bow stand, and they never knew I was their either. They were unfortuneatly just not in range. I'm sure the clothing works, but I jsut dont think it will do anything different for a person that takes the necessary steps with their regular camo.

I'm sure the clothing works, but I jsut dont think it will do anything different for a person that takes the necessary steps with their regular camo.

I agree, I can get similar or even better results but showering, wearing rubber boots, scent free hunting gear, dressing in the field, and spray down with scent killer. If I did all of that and still wore ScentBlocker it might help me a little more but a total scent control effort will have much better results then just throwing on some corbon lines suit.

Preferrably i'll just go with the scent eliminator spray. It works just as good and it don't cost you an arm and leg. Plus even if you have a scent-lok or scent-blocker suit, it only keeps most of the scent inside, but you'll still have to not leave any scent on the outer side of the suit. That's my 2-cent.

i'm with kyle. i wear cheap camo, but store it in a cheap tote from walmart. wash it a month before season with scent killers and uv blocking detergent. let it air dry. throw it in the tote with 2 earth wafer. including my release, gloves, hat, everything other than the rubber boots.

take it out of the tote and put it on once i park to begin my trek to the stand. once i'm 200 yds from the stand, i spray myself down with earth scented scent away. which i store on the field edge. get situated in the stand, respray with scent blocker, a lil bottle i keep in the tree. never been busted, and trust me, had i been busted by one of the 8 does, yearlings or fawns minutes before, i wouldn't have my avatar pic!

sure i stink like dirt but it works. also, never wear your camo at a gas station. whether or not your pumpin gas, that odor will cling to ya, then good luck gettin rid of that smell!

Its been proven every year since the stuff came out that scent-lok etc is not a magic bullet for scent control. Tracking dogs and technology have shown its nothing special and the "regeneration" process also seems flawed.

Use a quality camo clothing, but don't pay extra for camo just cause its "scent ....blah blah". Buy scent killer wash and keep your hunting clothes seperate. One of the best things you can get is a par of comfortable gloves you can wear anytime. Anything to keep your bare hands from touching things.

Add in another who doesn't believe in the charcoal impregnated clothes. A little experiment with a live bird, a scent-lok coat, and my dog showed me that the stuff can't come close to beating 'the nose'.

While I don't waste my money on charcoal impregnated clothes, I do wash my stuff in scent free soap, line dry it in the woods, store it in airtight dry bags, shower and brush teeth with baking soda before each hunt, and dress outside just before walking into the stand. Those precautions along with knee high rubber boots, scent killer spray, and always wearing a hat and gloves has helped me take some wall hangers. No amount of scent control can completely hid you though. Even with my scent routine I decide where to sit based strictly on the wind.

DonBo,

Right on!

No fancy gizmos will ever replace good old fashion Woodsmanship!

I elk hunt with a guy that has all that stuff. He's usually the most frustrated hunter in camp. Either trusting the suits has effected his hunting skills in the wrong direction or its because he moves like Herman Munster!

I do not use either as well.

I am not sure if you guys are familiar with the Scent-Lok lawsuit filed in the state of Minnesota, but it will be interesting to follow. The case is publically known with information on the internet. It has reached class status as well. If Scent-Lok is found guilty or settles at some point it could mean their demise.

For me it will make my camo shopping easier so I won't have to wade through rows and rows of different camo. It should come in two patterns for warm, cool and cold seasons. Thats it!