• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone tried those Trout Magnet lures?

JP Z

I've seen them, but never tryed them.

I do fish for trout with solf plastic a lot. I use something bigger then those little lures and it works great for trout over 12 inches, in fact it's hard to hook a trout under 12 inches with this lure. On top of that it doesn't snag on rocks, tree roots or logs.

What is it? Well your going to have to attend Trout Days '04 to see what it is.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Okay, we'll have to see now. You're really getting me thinking. Who is the manufacture? Is it a common lure that you are using otherwise?

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Clarification...Trout Day. (no s)

Reason beeing the town of Preston in SE MN has a Trout Days and I do not want to confuse or take away from their annual shin-dig!

TIme to being stocking up on the hardware!!

Shootin for that 24 incher this year!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Sorry jpz, your just going to have to come down for Trout Day. I'm doing a presentation about soft plastics. It will cover everything you need to know about fishing with these's lures.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

I took a peek at those trout magnet lures....I think I'll stick with the old curly tail grubs. I've been fishing with Mister Twisters for over 20 years down on the Root and they haven't let me down. I do want to try those Ring n Grubs this year too. I know one thing...Theres lots of tails but presentation is very important. I'm looking forward to some good "chat" at Trout Days!

Rapalas work really good too except they can be really tough on the fish.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I had my doubts about the Trout Magnet...after all, so many of the best lure names are obtuse, BUT....

My buddy decided to pick one up, used it all day for ice fishing and kicked my butt!! I was pleasantly surprised.

Got 5 different colors of them in my OWN tackle box now.

------------------
Colorado Ice Man

i reluctantly picked up a packet of the glow in the dark (trout magnet) the other day - and i must say, i went back and picked up 3 more packets of them.........i didn't buy the kit, b/c i don't know how another color could produce any better...

What sort of fishing are you using the magnet on? In Streams, I noticed you said icefishing. Just curious.

Dark,

Do you use Twister tails in streams as well for Troot? I can't say that I've ever tried that.Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking I have a new rig to try this spring.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Sorry, I never thought about jigging...I just assumed casting. I've always had good luck casting plastic in streams. The Trout (will) hit your lure and be gone in a heartbeat so you might as well get used to it (you've been spanked). I actually hook only about half the fish that grab the lure but more attacks equal more fish.

I don't often loose the tail but it does get pretty chewed up and needs to be replaced. My #1 go to lure is a 3" Mister Twister chartruse/black line grub on a 1/8 oz black/yellow eye jig. Cast slightly upstream to the far bank and reel fast back across a run or hole that looks promising. Keep the lure running just under the surface and crank it! Make them chase it...They can and will catch it.Walk quietly and keep a low profile. Don't wear brite clothing. Stay downstream of your target water. After a long day of wading each and every bend,find the nearest "smart fire" and offer up your insight to the embers of all knowing!...Or, who ever will listen. beer.gif

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Jigs work great in rivers, but like Dark30 said you have to keep them up off the bottom. They tend to snag quickly in the rocks and wood if you don't keep them up.

The solf plastic lure I fish with works best when you drag it over the rock.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Thanks for the insight. Very interesting I may have to try some different sorts of soft plastics like you have said. I just started using raps last year. Which will be hard for me to move away from I will admit.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

LOL, well, ive been using the trout magnet the past 4 years, and at first i was really reluctant, but lately, thats about all i use, the black works best for me in streams. The trout just nail it. I would definanlty give them a try. jigging and swimming it works best. good luck