• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Sturgeon Question

DonBo

300 yards of line! What are you going after....sailfish, tuna? We're talking sturgeon where a 40 yard cast and 100 yard run with 50+ pounds of good braided line gets you any lake sturgeon in North America.

After spending hundreds of dollars on high end equipment, you're going to save yourself $5 worth of line that might lose you the fish of a life time. No thank you.

Tape the line and knot. Use a wet palomar to tie the swivel to the line and you'll never have a problem with slippage, loose knots, anything.

$5? I wanna know where you buy your braid!!! 150 yards of good 50+lb braid is $20 where I buy it. That's gas for the day!

150 yards of good 50+lb braid is $20 where I buy it.

My bad! Spending money on high end reels and rods just to save $20 on line. smile

Sorry but I don't see the logic behind putting inferior mono line on a reel just to "fill" it up.

Braided line, to the best of my knowledge doesn't dry out and weaken like mono. So filling up the reel with braided line means I'm not changing the weaker mono every year. I'm always cutting a few inches or a couple of feet of exposed stressed line anyway so that keeps everything fresh.

Different strokes I guess. Good luck and good fishing to all the sturgeonators! smile

I also prefer my reels to be loaded with as much braid as possible with a small amount of mono backing. The rigs I use wear my line down quite a bit and so I cut 5 feet off at a time usually plus line for a new leader. I hate getting to the point where you are casting half mono and half braid out...I just don't feel comfortable with it.

You guys are really making this complicated.

You put mono on a bait caster under the braid to fill up the spool part way. This line will never get fished with, it just fills the spool much cheaper than using all braid and it prevents slipping. On a spinning reel you can use the same concept or just tape it on, its up to you.