• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new tool for hunting in MN

Scoot

At this time no. Ironically for about 6 years, I produced a product called LakeTrax Pro. It was an incredibly technical GPS/PC solution allowing the user to see the maps on the computer, print maps, interface directly with the GPS in field or at home and at the time all people wanted were the plug and play cards and I quit producing this solution smile Now I have the plug-n-play cards and what people ask for is something similar to my old system. I totally understand what you are saying and it is a great suggestion.

The answer currently is not at this time, but I am always looking for ways to do this that can be easy for sportsman to use. Keep watching the HSOforum and Fishing Minnesota, as there is a strong possibilty there may be an add-on available next year to allow some of the things you are mentioning. No promises, but I plan to start working on it early next year. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Korey,

I havent been able to find this feature but its a shot in the dark. Does this card show the contours of the land? Ive been using the card a lot lately and I have been bringing out a printed copy of where Im going from google earth, just to help me with some funnel areas I have been trying..

Realtor,

No MNTRAX does not include elevation contours. There is so much detail on MNTRAX, adding topo lines crisscrossing over everthing makes the map very difficult to read. At this time the majority of sportsman have indicated to me there are lots of topo solutions out there but MNTRAX is the only map that gathers the rest together. If I hear this request more and more, it is a feature I would consider adding.

CastMaster,

This will work in virtually any Garmin or Lowrance GPS unit. If you will never take it off your dash then I highly recommend a Garmin Nuvi. You can buy them from $100 on HSO-Classifieds to as high as $500+. Go to a local sporting good store and play with them all and find one you like. DO NOT buy a 200 or a 650. Any of the Nuvis in between or higher than these numbers are fine. I have a special build of my map for these two GPS units but I still recommend others.

If you wish to pop it off the dash and take it into the field or in the boat, then you want a waterproof one and the only Nuvi which is waterproof is the Nuvi 500 (and 550 but that one is hard to find). Very nice GPS and it can be used virtually anywhere. It even has topo of the entire US on it. The TRAX series will work with any of Nuvi GPS units.

Been reading up on the MNTRAX product and it sounds great. I do have a few questions. I have both the older etrex legend (no chip) and the new colored etrex legend hcx (microSD) and use mapsource software with both. Would the disc/software version of MNTRAX also work with both of these units? If I went with the microSD card and only used it with the legend hcx, do my waypoints/routes save to the microSD card or internal memory on the unit? Could I plug the unit into my computer and be able to see the lake contours when I opened up mapsource? I like using mapsource to mark out spots/routes first and just transferring to the unit. Does the $20 upgrade charge also apply to the disk/software? Thanks.

Gators6, I have answered your questions below.

Can the MapSource version be used for both GPS? It is designed to be used with one GPS but it can be used with two. However, the issue is the Garmin Legend only has 8 MB of memory and to load all of MNTRAX, it would take 48MB. The nice thing is you can choose different layers but the layers which hold the contours or even just the hunting land would take more than 8MB of memory. With 24MB, I would say probably, but not with 8MB.

If I went with the microSD card and only used it with the legend hcx, do my waypoints/routes save to the microSD card or internal memory on the unit? All Garmins I have used by default store waypoints to internal memory, so inserting MNTRAX will have no impact as all the saved waypoints are still there.

Could I plug the unit into my computer and be able to see the lake contours when I opened up mapsource? This will not work with either MapSource or the MNTRAX - Garmin version. The MNTRAX - Garmin Mapsource integration is designed to be a transfer process only. The map which shows up in MapSource is an overview map and you will not see the tight details such as lake contours. It is something being looked at as a possible add-in for the future to have some type of PC integration but not at this time.

Does the $20 upgrade charge also apply to the disk/software? Yes, it does for the MapSource version as well as the memory card (Garmin or Lowrance) version.

Thank you for the questions and I hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Steve: It makes perfect sense to include snowmobile trails on an outdoors GPS map. In speaking with the Minnesota DNR, they convinced me including snowmobiles trails on my GPS maps would be too great of a risk. The MN DNR end up getting involved in potential law suites every year even with very generic paper maps. A few people hit a tree with their sleds and say they were following your map and you are involved in a law suite even if the maps state not for navigational purposes. The other reason is that the trails can change so easily as they groom a new trail due to a variety of conditions. I do include hiking and hunting trails as they tend to stay more static.

Thank you for the suggestion and it is always a possibility in the future if the DNR or other sources end up with more frequently updated data.

Will this work with a Gamrin nuvi 255w. It has a microSD card, but i'm wondering if the unit has enough memory and cant find it anywhere?

Also, if it does, do i just insert the card into the GPS and all the data is there for use or do i need to tranfers from the computer to the GPS?

Thanks

Gators, the list is up to date as of MNTRAX 2009. Upper Red has not been surveyed by the DNR (at least not when I last pulled the data) and Mille Lacs data was incomplete. I will have to check on Vermillion.

azsearch, yes it will work with a Nuvi 255. The amount of memory is only an issue if your GPS does not take a card. Simply insert the memory card into the GPS and the Trax map appears as you zoom into an area. There is no uploads/downloads or anything.

Kirsch, 2:30 in the morning? Don't you sleep??? I've stopped by the store a couple times but haven't seen you or your bride the last couple trips in. I'll catch you over there eventually...

A little update on my new Garmin 500 and the NDTRAX and MNTRAX.

I uploaded both sets into my 500 from the DVD's, and so far no glitches. I also run a Garmin Inland Lakes chip in it, and occasionally a LakeMaster/Garmin LOTW chip, but only select what regions/map data I need on that particular day from the "My Maps Data List".

The only thing I needed to learn was to de-select the Garmin new 2010 updated roads and just run the lakes packets when I go into "marine mode" or boating Mode...and then it works flawlessly.

The Garmin 500 and the NDTRAX & MNTRAX Data is a big "PASS" as far as I'm concerned. It has proven to be a handy addition on the dash on the road and on the bow on the water with the NDTRAX, MNTRAX, or the Garmin software.

Capt'nMorgan,

Yes the chip will work in all the H20's. On the grayscale units, the land will show as a bit of different texture. The older the GPS the slower the processors so refresh rates can be a bit slow on an extensive map such as a TRAX map. Also, on the real old Lowrance handhelds like the iFinder Pro, etc, the firmware needs to be updated if they never were. However, I believe all H20 units had new enough firmware.

There are always updates to the TRAX maps each year. Changes to lands at the very least as well as I am always looking to add data that would help sportsmen. The typical data for the next year version is usually in March. Updates are only $20 and are not required but highly recommended. Hunting units changed this year as well and was a change to the last MNTRAX update.