• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I Wanna Know WHY!!

hanson

Darren made this comment in another thread and I think it deserves its own consideration.

The big girls were on a tear last night. Nice fish everyone!

Every now and then, you hit an evening where it doesn't seam like anyone can do anything wrong. With the number of big fish caught in the last couple days, the question deserves to be asked. With the number of big fish photos posted in the last few days, its obvious "something" happened.

So... for those who are always looking for reasons behind what goes on the river, you could say its what differentiates luck from skill... wink What happened in the last few days that put the big fish on the feed?

- I asked in a different thread if anyone has noticed slightly rising water from the recent rains we had? Water on the rise is always good.

- Moon phase?

- Frontal condition? Obviously these fish eat like a sorority girl at an all you can eat buffet in a thunderstorm but we haven't had any storms lately.

I do know that when I went to sleep last night, the humidity went through the roof. I'm not hanging my hat on that statement but it does warrant some consideration.

So... what was it?? And will it continue?? grin

Discuss...

That is why we keep fishing. I think it's one of those questions that will never be answered.

I think part of the reason was that a lot of guys were out on the river last night. I wasn't out, but I know a few that had a slow night as well, so everyone wasn't catching fish.

I honestly think the moon phase does have something to do with it. When the moon is full you will see a lot more morning and daytime fish caught and vice versa.

Who knows......I'm going fishing.

Thats probally the toughest question that has been thrown out there. I personally didnt have the greatest weekend on the river and my thoughts were that it must not have been great every where else but I guessed wrong I cant remember seeing so many big fish in just a weekend of fishing at least where I was but I did catch fish, not big fish, they just didnt want to bite where I was I guess.

I really hope that I can never figure it out totally. Then that would take the whole sense of addventure and fun out of it. I mean you pull up in your boat and point your finger and say this is the spot that a big one is going to come from tonight. I know I try to do that in reading the river and fishing when the moon phase is at its best and watching the water rise or fall and try and I mean try to predict were there will be fish and sometimes it all looks perfect and no go or just a couple small ones. I know its an old cliche' but thats why we call it fishin and not catchin. I also dont look at it as not doing so good just gaining more experince.

Skill or luck. I used every bit of skill I had and wasnt lucky enough to catch a big one. guess I'll be trying again and again and again until I get it right.

It wasn't a full moon, but the whole new moon phase just occurred on the 21st. Moonset and sunset have been sort of coinciding the last couple of nights I think so that could have something to do with it. I've seen some big fish in the last few days, haven't caught them, but they were moving. From what I understand, fish follow their hunger first, and the moon second. Rising water levels never hurt, unless it ruins the pattern you're already fishing (happened to me) but it seems to make the fish more comfortable when cruising the shallows. Big turtles certainly were eating today, saw a boat catch 2 while I was out for an hour. I ended up snagging about a 20 pounder on the side of its shell, thought it was a giant fish the way it swam, and how its shell pulled in the current. oh well.

Thats probally the toughest question that has been thrown out there.

Hey... I like to ask tough questions. grin And maybe there isn't an answer, there might not be.

My opinion is its not that hard to catch a flathead pre-spawn, but when you have a significant number of big fish like that getting caught darn near in the spawn, if not slightly after.... what in the heck is going on? Cat League statistics back that up. Forum activity here backs that up.

Alot of people ask why the fish AREN'T biting or why they had a bad night. Those nights are oftentimes harder to explain than the good nights, especially when you think you got a pattern or location dialed in and it backfires on you.

Shoot, this is better than talking about bullheads, isn't it?

Originally Posted By: elwood
Thats probally the toughest question that has been thrown out there.

Shoot, this is better than talking about bullheads, isn't it?

I knew there was a bigger picture to this gringrin

I just was just wondering why on my way home from Franklin that my game plan didnt work? I was frustrated and those things were just part of the thoughts on the way home and your right its better than bullie talk

It wasn't a full moon, but the whole new moon phase just occurred on the 21st. Moonset and sunset have been sort of coinciding the last couple of nights I think so that could have something to do with it. I've seen some big fish in the last few days, haven't caught them, but they were moving. From what I understand, fish follow their hunger first, and the moon second. Rising water levels never hurt, unless it ruins the pattern you're already fishing (happened to me) but it seems to make the fish more comfortable when cruising the shallows. Big turtles certainly were eating today, saw a boat catch 2 while I was out for an hour. I ended up snagging about a 20 pounder on the side of its shell, thought it was a giant fish the way it swam, and how its shell pulled in the current. oh well.

This is very true! I caught my first river turtle last night...it was a large softshell and I hooked him right in the throat. Thought it was a 10-15 lb Flathead by the way it consistently pulled the clicker off and then they way it fought had my confused. I didn't want to retie so I just worked at it for a while and got the hook off.

WE had a low pressure system skirt us up in Canada near the end of last week. The pressure was really low on thurs and Friday. (there is no where in the country that its that low right now) It started a gradual rise (back in the normal range) on Sat. I thought it might turn the fishing down.... but we ended up boating a pair of 25-27lbs that night fairly early.

I suspect that this might have had something to do with it.

WE had a low pressure system skirt us up in Canada near the end of last week. The pressure was really low on thurs and Friday. (there is no where in the country that its that low right now) It started a gradual rise (back in the normal range) on Sat. I thought it might turn the fishing down.... but we ended up boating a pair of 25-27lbs that night fairly early.

Someone's paying attention to the weather... you may be right Larry!