• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Satellite Internet while camping

FishingWebGuy

Any body use a satellite Internet service while camping? I know I see a lot of the Directv setups on RVs but I'm not sure if the satellite Internet setups are as easy to take on the road and realign each time.

I do know if I could logon once or twice a day I could easily extend my camping trips into the multiple weeks. Where we go there isn't cell service for nearly an hour in each direction.

We would use it for tent camping but I'd have no problem scaling a tree-with-a-Southern-view and strapping a dish on if it was easy to align.

NOPE not going to happen!

You don't use a regular Dish or equipment for Satellite Internet.

It's a whole different set-up and just the cost of the equipment will be enough for you to realize it's not going to happen. Not to mention it would nearly impossible to get set up while camping.

You'd be much better off driving an hour to the nearest WI-Fi spot than wasting your time and money trying get Satellite INTERNET while camping.

Trust me on this one.. grin

Pierbridge is right. Satellite internet is completely different from receiving a dish tv signal. There's two way transmissions involved. When setting it up, the technician must be talking to tech support to insure the connection is there. This is why it must be done by a professional who is authorized to work with the signal provider.

Easiest way to get internet while camping with a notebook is getting a nationwide internet cell service plan and plugin card. No need for a dish with it and depending upon cell service in the area you camping.

When I was in iraq, a guy set up an internet server with a dish on our small base so he could play world of warcraft all day. haha.

Anyways, I believe it ended up costing him 4-5k to buy all the parts and get it going. In addition, there was a monthly charge for the service, I don't remember what that cost was though.

I have been reading through these old posts. I had to bump this one to the front just to show how much things have changed in 5 years. I remember my wife and I would talk about how cool it would be if we had internet while driving in the car. Just think we could look for cafes, hotels, etc while we were driving. We couldn't imagine how great that would be. Now we are there.