• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Watab Trout

SWMuskeye

Hi all,

I'd like to give this lake a try for trout this winter, anyone ever had any luck out there? It seems it isn't getting any response in the St. Cloud forum. Any depths or locations would be much appreciated.

Also, is 4lb test too much for trout through the ice?

Would minnows be allowed if it is a designated lake? Or should I tip up with jigging spoons and teardrops tipped with waxies?

Thanks!

I've never fish Big Watab, but lookin at the lake map I'd fish around where the river enters the lake. Start shallow then go deeper until you see trout. Rainbows are most often caught within the first 10 feet under the ice.

6lb test line is heavy line for trout. 4lb test will work very well.

Live minnows are not allowed on a designated stream trout lake. Dead minnows are ok on designated stream trout lakes.
I usally fish a minnow (dead or alive) on a teardrop and waxies on a jigging spoon.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Watab is not a designated Trout lake so you could use live minnows but they usually do not do well with them. Maps make it appear as a river enters the lake but it is actually a small ditch that usually has no or extremely little flow. Fish have been caught out in front of that little bay but there are better spots.

I use a braided line or 8# cold weather mono and a 6# Flourocarbon leader regardless. For bait, grubs or eurolarve on a small green or orange jig works well. Some folks use white Mr. twisters.

Stay shallow, less than 8'. Find a shelf extending out from shore or go to one of the islands. Fish will go up into 2' of water and less. Set your bait half way to the bottom. Best bite is 1/2 before and 2 hours after sun-up. If someone fires up a gas auger near you in the shallows it will put the fish down. This often happens on the island. Make sure you set the drag's light. Sometimes they just nail a bait and keep moving other times they mouse around. Either way, when you set the hook in shallow water there is one heck of a fight. Good luck.