• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Have question for you MPLS/STPAUL area resident photographers

OK, so here is my question. I am heading down this weekend for some well deserved R&R and want to grab some nightime shots. One in Particular. I want that famous arch bridge shot. My question is what road is that bridge on? and what is the best place to set up for that shot. Thanks in advance

No Photographer here but I do fish occasionally at Mill ruins Park in MPLS. That's a pretty good view of the Stone Arch Bridge from the East side! I'm sure there are many other places to shoot from that others can chime in on also!

Mill ruins Park is located on Park or Portland Avenue I forget which one. So from Washington avenue near Downtown MPLS you would go North on Park/Portland Ave and that will run you right into the Park.

http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=4&parkid=413

http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=4&parkid=268

Paul,

You want to be on the east side of the river for the sunset. That will give you the best view of downtown and the best light. There is parking along Main St. SE and 6th Ave SE which you can see on the map.

Get there an hour before sunset to get some nice shots on top of the bridge towards the Guthrie and Mill City. You will see a path that is on the east side of the bridge, on the north side that will take you down to the base of the bridge. You can shoot on both sides for different looks, but the standard shot is on the south side.

It is best to go with at least one other person, a group is better smile Use some care and caution. While your down there you may want to take in the new 35W bridge as well. It is lit with multiple colors. I haven't been down there yet myself but have seen some great shots of it.

This is from the north side looking west.

156152674_m8var-L-1.jpg

This is from the south side, the standard shot.

156154330_L8ovM-L-1.jpg

From the bridge top.

156318576_okM5g-L-1.jpg

Yes, a group might be good after dark. I haven't been down that way for 7-8 years, but there used to be a hobo jungle between the bridge and the University's steam plant. Sometimes if it's still light out, some of the U's kayakers are playing around downstream of the St. Anthony falls hydro plant.

If you need a body guard which you don't I'd be glad to assist. I have fished and walked at night in all the area's we're talking here hundreds of times and never had a single problem and neither will you. I also have a great 35w bridge Fishing/PHOTO spot but it's hard to explain how to get there!

Of course it's always best to be safe and prepared!

Watch out for those Hobo's they may ask for some change... grin

unfortunatley I did not have the chance to go after the shot I wanted due to time constraints, I got some good ones downtown though in the light, and some inside architectures so I may have to post them later on when I get caught up on life.