• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Testing new waters

Swamp Scooter

I have a couple of questions for you seasoned trout slayers. I am going to be trying a new lake or two this winter and wonder how you would go about locating the trout. Both bodies of water are deep. One is 60+ and the other 120+ and very steep. Where would you start? Shallow and work out, or go over the deep and suspend about 10' down. Both lakes are in the east metro and I believe there is not a lot of pressure on either for the trout.

Could be a new hot spot if I new how to find them.

Look for points or large flats. Cover as much of the point and flat as you can. If your fishing a point move all around the point testing different depths. If your fishing a flat and have no luck, then move to where the flat drops into deeper water.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Thanks for the tips. I am targeting rainbows mostly and there are salmon on the other one too. It is very clear water.

On the steep drops from shore if there is not a good shelf any suggestions on how to start out?

I can't believe they would go to flats where there are weed beds,(normally bass and lily pads) would they?

Are you talking Square and Lake Elmo?

On Square, I've seen them on the east side of the lake by the barn. There is a bit of a point there that drops off into deeper water.

As far as Lake Elmo. The DNR stocked a bunch of brood fish in the lake a few years ago. I saw one caught(snagged) in about 6 fow. These brood fish don't relate to much -a lot of times they're just crusing for baitfish. They can be shallow, and they can be deep and they can be anywhere in the water column.

tjhunter

yup. by the looks of it they have been stocking ELMO for about 5 years. Square lake, forever. I have seen people ice fishing elmo but you know it is not for the trout. Square should be vacant too. I have tried out by the barn in open water, about 49'. But the ice fishing would be different I would guess. Where to go on the lake? I guess that is always the deal with a new lake. I would not drive the truck out there but take the atv. Especially on Square, which I doubt you could drive on anyway. Anyone else have insights or information?? Maybe leave the crowds and try a new body of water this weekend, if I can take myself away from the walleyes for a day.

Any takers??

It just has to be good as I have never seen or heard of any winter trout coming out. Been in the area fishing for 25 years.

Square is tough bite. I have driven out there in previous winters and there are plenty of people out there on the weekends. We've tried all over and used the camera with little success.

Let us know how you do.

tjhunter

Swamp, Most of the fish the DNR stocks are brood fish I fish Little Long out by Mound, and I fish flats no deeper than 15ft. and I site fish thru a spear house which a friend has out. They just swim around and feed if you have a ten inch auger you could look down that hole, its fun watching what they do at the bait, and then you can change it up.