• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how do u winter trout fish

fishgutz

fishgutz - I'll assume you're talking about streams. I fish them much the same as spring and fall - using either spinners or minnowbaits (Rapala, etc.). I usally find a minnowbaits that suspend work better in the winter cause you can pause them without having them float up. You definitely have to slow down - most of the time. You can try coating your guides with cooking oil but you will get some ice in the guides when it's below freezing. I generally don't go if it's below 20.

Since nobody has mentioned it yet I'll take the winter trout lake fishing side. I usually just use a jigging spoon of some type and I use my Vex to locate where the fish are. In my experience the trout are usually suspended in the winter so a Vex or other locator is pretty much an essential item. Good luck

I am speaking of stream fishing. I'll definately try cooking oil. I was all pumped up about a "new" thing and tried the winter season last year but my line kept freezing up in my spool. Then again, it was COLD!!! Was kind of a bummer, but i'll be more persistent this year.
Speaking in terms of fishing trout on a lake, i'll be chasing the rainbows on Xmas lake on friday. Thank you for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Good luck and good fishin'
fishgutz

Fishgutz, fishing for rainbows on friday isn't a good idea, because you cann't target rainbows in X-mas until saturday 1/17. The winter stream trout season for lakes is closed right now. Opens this saturday.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

[This message has been edited by Renneberg (edited 01-14-2004).]