• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter trout season begins Jan. 1

Renneberg

Portions of 32 southeastern Minnesota trout streams will be open for catch-and-release winter trout fishing with barbless hooks from Jan. 1 through March 31. Anglers may use live bait, artificial lures or flies during the winter season. A trout and salmon stamp validation and a fishing license are required.

Minnesota's winter trout season opened on an experimental basis in 1988 on two streams for a total of 4.8 miles. In 1991 the winter trout season expanded to four streams and 12.7 miles. In 1997, portions of six streams and 27.6 miles were open to winter trout fishing.

In 1999, 12 streams and 48.4 miles were open to winter trout fishing. The latest change occurred on March 1, 2003 with a total of 32 streams and 128 miles open to winter trout fishing.

To minimize possible harm to trout populations, anglers are encouraged to consider the following:

- After catching a fish, minimize its exposure to cold air by keeping it in the water as much as possible

- Avoid walking through shallow riffles, which often contain trout spawning beds.

Areas open for winter trout fishing on Jan. 1 are listed in the 2003 Fishing Regulations Handbook.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

[This message has been edited by Renneberg (edited 12-12-2003).]

Anyone fish opening weekend of the winter trout season?

I didn't. It was just to cold for me. I'm hoping that the up coming warm up helps the temps rise in the 30's again. Once they do I'll be fishing the streams again.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

2 or us were out opening morning from 8-12 and caught many on minnowbaits - we lost track - but lots of small stuff. Good chance the stretch we fished had just been stocked. We did release 4-5 each in the 11-14" range and one 20+ brown with shoulders and saw 3-4 others in the 18-22" range. Even catching that many they were not aggressive which suggests to me that either the populations are plentiful and/or that's the result of less inhabitable water.
We do need some good snows and spring rains to get the streams and ground water back to normal.

They keep me too busy at work during Dec. and Jan. printing insert cards that all you folks faithfully clean out of your magazines before you read them smile.gif
After work there's only time to fish and no time to talk about it!!
I know - wa wa