• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snaking sprinkler hose under concrete sidewalk

hoggs222

I am looking at trenching the front yard to put some heavy duty hose in for a DIY sprinkler system. Front yard isn't too big so I didn't want to install a system, as the backyard is big and run off a well. Only the front would be run from the spicket.

I need to get under a sidewalk though to run the hose to the spicket. Any ideas on hose type and how to get under the sidewalk?

as far as getting under the sidewalk, i have used a regular garden hose with an adjustable type brass nozzle. The type that shoots a small single stream, use it like a boring machine. you will have to dig a hole on both sides where you want to start and finish. the issue you will have is freezing in the winter, you could put a piece of plastic pipe with a hose fitting on at the spicket side and attach the hose there. that way the pipe will drain in the winter. I live in the desert so if it freezes here we are all in trouble.

I've bored under sidewealks before and even in my younger days it's not an easy chore. I would start off by diggin a trench the lenght of a 6 foot spud bag and lay it in the rut. Then start whacking away on the end of it with a 10 pound sledge making sure it's going straight instead of downward. Pull it out a few times as you go. Then take a piece of PVC and get it under the walk so you can run the hose thru it. If you want to get fancy, put air chuck somewhere on it so you can blow out the system.

Dig a trench the width of the sidewalk where you want the pipe to go. Set a 4 inch or smaller pvc pipe in it put garden hose in pvc pipe turn water on and push pvc under sidewalk. The water will evacuate only enough dirt for the pvc pipe as you push it through. Gets rather messy but works well if no rocks in the way.