• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brook Trout

radke22

Sounds like maybe you killed it already?If so,mount it,it's a very nice brookie.Let the next one go...it feels even better than putting one on the wall and it may reach 20" for you to catch again.Mike

I think it all depends on the waters you visit.

In my kneck of the woods a 16 incher would be considered, but I would prefer a larger fish to hang.

Your fish is a pig and you have the right to mount it.
Brookies are THE most beautiful fish on earth.

I hope I can someday find a big girl in the waters I visit.

Either you guys who claim nothing under 20 are blessed with waters that hold large broookies or your blowin' smoke!?

Keep the rods bendin'!!!!

Jim W

20 inchers do live in Minnesota lakes, but the lakes that grow them are few and far between. It takes time to find these lakes since the few people that know about them never like to talk about them.

There are even a few rivers that grow brookies to 20 inches or better.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Has anybody ever found a lake where you can consistantly catch brookies in the 16-20" catagory? Everytime i've been to this lake the smallest brookie caught is around 16" but most are 18-20 and a three fish limit takes about 30 minutes. Never even seen a brookie over 14" until this lake.

Are you sure they aren't Splake you are catching.
I know the first time I seen a Splake I thought it was a Brook Trout until I seen the tail on it.

Splake look just like Brook Trout, except Splake have a forked shape tail like a Lake Trout. Brook trout have a square shaped tail.

If this lake is in Minnesota I'd find it hard to believe that the DNR doesn't have special regs. on the lake in order to protect those big Brookies.

I know of two Brook trout lakes in Minnesota that do produce Brook Trout up to 18-19 inches, but both of the lakes regs. state that only one Brook Trout over 18 inches may be taken a day.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

This lake is in wisconsion, I'm a vetren trout chaser and am positive they are brookies, Just got back from there and my sis and i caught 9 and kept three from 12-16". All bit on minnows. The report is the DNR stocks this lake with 2-600 brood stock each fall, and they can be caught through the ice also. I'll try to post my first one i got this fall that was 18" and over 3lbs. Largest was caught last friday on a Rapala 4.10lbs. This spot is so secret i havn't even told my dad where i'm catching these things.

The trophy is in the eye of the beholder. A couple years ago I caught a amazing colored mature brookie with a great hooked jaw, here in SE MN. It was a true trophy from the creek I was fishing, at 13inches.

Are we sure it's a brook tout and not a splake? It can be difficult to discern the difference. S'pose it doesn't matter in the long run. It's a beautiful fish. Congrats.

stu

[This message has been edited by nkambae (edited 12-01-2003).]