• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads

shot rage last year and got my deer but ended up buying some g5 strikers to try this year. Plus since the girlfriend is only shooting 40lbs she needed a cut on contact so i'll let her test out the strikers while i decide if i want to go with the rage or G5's. I shot 55 lbs last year and only got 7 inches of penetration with the rage (the entry whole was crazy big). This year im shooting 70lbs so it could be a different story with the penetration issue. Either way the rage has made a believer out of many individuals and has killed alot of deer in a hurry.

I'm rolling with WASP again this year. The Boss Bullet, the Boss, and the Hammer. I can shoot baseball sized groups at 50 yards with the Boss Bullet so I'm keeping them for sure.

May pick up some Crimson Talons and Silver Flames too.

jltimm

The slick trick magnums move you from the normal 1" cut to a 1-1/4 cut and if you allready have the standard ones you can buy the magnum replacement blades and do not have to switch the ferrals just slide in the new bigger blades and they fly the same spot for me.

I still have 4 of the 6 Slick Trick Mags (1 1/8 inch) cut that I bought 3 years ago. Each of them have been through a deer or two and still pass the spin test. I just finished sharpening the old blades up with the Gatco and leather. Crazy sharp now.

I shoot Steelhead 100's for deer and G5 Strikers for elk and other big animals. The Steelhead company was sold and the word is that the quality control has gone completely to pot, so I'll be looking for a new expandable after my current supply of Steelheads is used up.

I've got to side with the 2 inch, 2-blade rage. anyone who shoots mechanicals should be slingin rage. even the fixed broadhead guys should reconsider. their only downside, they may not work through shoot-through screens in a blind.

a few years ago, i had some bad luck with tekan 2's. got my deer though. the broadhead never opened. so i through the others away, switched to G5 strykers, which worked great. vowed to myself to never shoot mechanicals again. then came along rage. swore i'd never buy them. after hours of watching hunting shows, i gave in. wow! what an entrance hole. makes tracking more like following, as you dont have to look too hard for blood. i'll probably shoot these as long as they are made, and their flight is identical to a field point, no ifs, ands, or buts about it!

I helped track one shot with the 2 blade rage on a metro hunt not a good deal, it was about a 15 yard shot the broadhead opened between the ribs vertically and followed them down clipping the lung on that side and never went any farther into the chest cavity so imagine a deer in the woods with it's whole side open from top of shoulder to briskit we didn't have a very good trial to follow and now your heading into houseing developments with some huge fancy houses. We found her almost into someones backyard.

Last year was my first year archery hunting. I used the Rage heads, and this year I have switched to the Thunderheads. I can't specifically blame the Rage heads for my poor results last year, but just needed to change something.