• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Add Shiners to the list

DTro

of baits that Flatheads love to eat.

I've been catching some really nice Shiners lately, up to 7" and mostly been using them for cutbait.

LFC tossed on a live one at our second spot last night and not 5 minutes later, the sweet sound of singing clicker had our attention.

After boating that nice fish, he continued with the Shiners and stuck 2 more during the night.

Nice fish and thanks for the fun night!

014.jpg

I had a run last night while using a 10" channel cat for bait. Hookset was an airball though. Then caught 3 flatheads on really small 4"-5" suckers. You never know.

You can sure do a heck of a lot more in that state.

At the FLW Walleye Tour weigh-ins at Lake Winnebago this week. Half the crowd wheeled in coolers of beer to watch the weigh-ins. Gotta tell you I was a bit taken aback by that. You would never see that anywhere in Minnesota now days. I mean you wheel a cooler a beer into any public place and you are getting ushered out ASAP. Was a bit jealous. grin

I think what I was catching was not the "run of the mill" bait shop shiner. These were very dark colored and just as hardy as the creek chubs I had in the bucket.

Yeah, Darren is not talking about bait shop shiners at all.

I'm not sure what specific species they are but my brother catches the same ones up around the Crookston area so they are fairly wide spread around the state. They are big and hardy, kind of look like a creek chub but are definitely not creek chubs. I've used them for cutbait on the Red River many times and have caught fish on them. As far as live bait goes, if they stay alive on the hook and put up a good struggle, sounds like dinner to a flathead.

Ye I think thats whats happening Darren. Dunno whats the cause; almost like those chubs are too agressive and run the shiners to a different stretch. When I want chubs and I start catching shiners I just keep moving along to the next bend.

That second pic is surely not a baitshop shiner, looks to me like you got it at the photoshop.

Either way those shiners do look more hardy then the ones that I have used. Nice bait.