• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jig Rod Length

Craigums

What length rod do you like for Jigs and Plastics? Im not refering to flippin' sticks for heavy cover but just a normal jig rod for pitching. Ive been using a 7'2'' Cumara that works like a charm but seen St. Croix markets there Legend Tournament jig rods at 6'6'', seems a little short to me but I can see how that would be nice for working docks and close range pitches. Please Discuss

Thank you,

Craig

I have a couple of 7 ft G-Loomis rods that I think are great for jigs and plastics. I would not go any shorter! I think your 7'2" rod would be great. You can really stay in contact with the jig on the fall with the longer rod.

I'm usually not as concerned with the length versus the action. I have a few 6-6 & 7ft models but they are all different actions.

I use a different rod depending on the weight of the jig. The weight of the jig depends on how much current a river has or the depth of the weater in the lake I'm fishing.

For jig and pig away from heavy cover I use a 6'10" rod. I could happily use one longer but I love the blank this rod is built on. For football jigs I use either a 7 footer or a 7'6".

Cheers,

Rob Kimm