• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I shoot the 130grain Fedral Fusion's out of my .270. Accuracy and consistancy is good, 3holes covered by a quarter at 125. It is also the first .270 round that I have shot that "stays together". I have run into several that blew apart or fragmented inside the deer making for a heck of a mess or less than clean kills.

Just my .02, others may have different experiences. Get a few different rounds from different companies and shoot 'em. Every gun and shooter combination digests ammo differently.

Quote:
Just my .02, others may have different experiences. Get a few different rounds from different companies and shoot 'em. Every gun and shooter combination digests ammo differently.

That's the best advice anyone's given..

I have a savage 110 that spits cheapo remington tight,where as my ruger flings em everywhere.

Quote:

That's the best advice anyone's given..

I have a savage 110 that spits cheapo remington tight,where as my ruger flings em everywhere.

that is the gun that i purchesed was the savage model 110. I was thinking of gettin a few brands and try them out everything from cheap and up.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Keep them coming!

Out of my rifles I shoot 150 grain remington core locks for my .300 win mag .270 and my 308 win. I have shot the 130 grain ballistic tips and found they don't hold up well and ruin alot of meat if you hit the front shoulder or any bone but they are made for fast expantion and pure devistation of soft tissue.

don't throw your brass away either....someone here on FM I am sure reloads and would be willing to trade or work out some kind of deal for you 270 brass. I don't reload for that caliber and I don't reload for anyone who does, but someone here probably does.......

Remington 130 grain Core Lok-t out of my Winchester Model 70. This is the only rifle I've killed deer with, but this combo hits them HARD!!! Also shoots great groups too, but that might have something to do with the person behind the trigger too. wink

Brian

I wouldn't hesitate to use basic loads such as Remington Core Lokt, Winchester Power Point, or Federal Power Shok. They run about half the price of the premium loads. At today's prices of $35-$40 a box, experimenting with the premium loads can get expensive real fast. Another reason would be availability. You can get a box of Remington Core Lokts about anywhere. With premium ammo it may only be available in a couple of places. I would also worry about my pet load getting discontinued and having to start over looking for another one. If I was elk, moose, or bear hunting it might be another story.

I know because pops couldn't field dress,quarter and haul it out because of recent surgery,he had the easy part of just shooting it and holding the lights I did almost all the work but is it a memory with my dad I will never forget. grin

I have only shot Remington core-lockt out of my .280s (almost the same calibur) and i've had real good luck with the 150gr and 165gr in my 7400 semi-auto. I picked up a a-bolt this winter and will see how they shoot out of that gun in the near future.

Other guys I hunt with use the super high explosive heat seaking $7 a shot loads, and I kill just as many animals as them, in just as effective of a manner with a standard load. Why waste the money?

that is the gun that i purchesed was the savage model 110. I was thinking of gettin a few brands and try them out everything from cheap and up.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Keep them coming!

Savage 110 is a great weapon ... I have one as well ... although I would recommend swapping out the Simmons it came with to something a little, uh, more application appropriate. Those scopes are a little on the cheap side. Look into something with a Mil-Dot reticle if you know how to use one. Fusions are great, if you can afford to foot the price tag ... Like said before, consistency varies from shooter to shooter, weapon to weapon ... experiment with different loads and try to find out what your weapon likes best. The Savage is easily a 1/2 MOA weapon with proper shooting conditions and technique. If you have any questions pertaining to actual target engagement I would be more than happy to answer them for you. Best of luck to you ... shoot often and you will reap the rewards.

I just got a new .270 and looking for some ammo for it. Just seeing what everyone else uses and whats a good brand. Looking in the 130 grain for deer.

thanks

I use Core Lokt 150grain and loved it, great patterning while sighting in and excellent results last year (it was my first year with my .270)