• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite spinning tackle lures

SWMuskeye

Hi everyone,

I'm updating my very small assortment of trout gear and I'm wondering what you all have as essentials in your spinning arsenal. The more help the better as I plan on trouting a whole lot this year!

Thanks in advance!

"A whole lot this year"? You've got 42 days my friend!lol

For spinners, my favorite has been the Rooster Tail. 1/6 ounce seems to be the best weight for medium to large size waters and 1/8 for medium to small class streams.

WHite is my go to, but black and purple aren't far behind. HArd to find purple these days.

Rapalas are my first to go to lure for trout.
NEaring Fall, there "should" be less shiners, chubs and minnows to contend with. So puttin' on a #9 to a #11 original floating can nail the bigger fish. Why target small???????

Replication of stream forage is key. Streams with more shiners than chubs, the "vamp" or "shiner" series Original floating rap I'd recommend. Otherwise the standard black and silver, gold and black or blue and silver work great.

Good luck!!!

Keep the rods bendin'

Jim W

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 08-19-2003).]

Ok, so maybe I'm a little behind, since I am a warmwater angler, and new to troutin'. There are several streams that I will be targeting while up near St. Cloud for school. Anyone ever fished the Luxemborg stream up there? I will be trying it early next week.

Thanks for the info, please keep it coming!

My all time favorite spinning lure was a spoon type lure called a Z-ray. I have never seen them for sale any other place than in Arizona, but I guess you can find them online. I just did. I might have to get a few for old times sake. They remind me of trout fishing when I was a kid.

Rob

Vibrax spinners.....#0 and #1. Silver for lower light conditions/murky water....black on bright sunny days with clear water.

Smaller Kastmasters, silver or other color combos.

Jake's spoons.....not sure if you can't get them in MN.

Yes, Rapalas.....the lure that catches any fish in the world.

On larger waters, you can also use the smallest Little Cleos and Krocodiles that are made.

Fishing on a lake with spinning tackle and a good hatch is going or fish are taking nymphs just under the surface? Fly and a bubble is the ticket.

How about colors? Should I go for more natural hues such as crayfish patterns or shiner patterns? Or go wild with some yellows, and chartreuse, etc.

Is there any rule? Or is expirimenting the name of the game?

Thanks in advance again.

-MB

Stay away from the crawfish pattern and stick to naturals and unnatural colors.

Yellow, orange, and blue are great unnatural colors.

Brown trout, rainbow trout, and black and silver are great natural colors.

Try lots of different colors in a average day of fishing. A simple color change can mean the difference in catching a few trout or catching a lot of trout.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

Anybody who was at the Annual Trout Open should have tried the Big Bowl or Super Bowl created by our friend out of Owatanna. My first cast was a hit and i've continued to catch trout with the BOWL. You can get them at shops in southeastern minnesota.

Catch'm while you can!