• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New stamp rates!

rushing

I don't mind at all. If they will use the money for stream improvements/easements and continued stocking of trout lakes I'm all for it! I know thats not always the case but... To me $10 is still a good deal. Maybe it will also keep some of the riffraff away. Just my 2 cents.

Tight Lines!
Rob

[This message has been edited by rushing (edited 08-15-2003).]

rushing,

What do you mean by "riffraff"?

considering the stamps are no longer issued at face value. I'd like to see the DNR eliminate the "Stamp" and call it a management fee or something similar.

[This message has been edited by Bogsucker (edited 08-15-2003).]

Hmmmm not so sure I am happy about the nice increase in the 2004 Trout Stamp! Up to $10!

What's everyones take?
Ofc ourse it could be money spent elsewhere, but as we know it doesn't always get used the way it's set up to be!

Jim W

I would not mind the increase if I believed it was being wholey dedicated to just improving trout fisheries. I have heard in the past, that is not the case.

Does anyone know where I can find a breakdown of where that money goes? It could be very interesting.

Well if that's the way it's gonna be than we should at least get the actual stamp without having to pay a buck or two or whatever it is. I enjoyed collecting those until they started charging us. I am o.k with this as long as the money is used for its intended purpose. I too Sarge would love to see how and where they plan to use the extra cash. There must be somewhere we can obtain this info??

smellz

[This message has been edited by smellzalilfishee (edited 08-16-2003).]

Bogsucker - What I meant by riffraff was basically the people who don't have the respect for the beautiful places trout tend to live or for the people that share the same streams or lakes.

Tight Lines
Rob

[This message has been edited by rushing (edited 08-16-2003).]

The general concensus is that no one minds paying for the improvment of habitat and fishery. Knowing exactly where the dollars go is important. Over the years people have become accustomed to hiked up prices under false pretenses. SHOW ME THE MONEY!...and show me what I bought for my $10.

Personally, I'm sorta glad the trout stamp fee will hike up a bit. It may be a deterrent to the riffraf previously mentioned. Not to preach at the choir here, but I went to one of my favorite streams last Sat. morning (8/16) and came across four half-empty Miller lite cans laying on the ground in two different areas. On my way back to my car at noon, I cleaned up the cans and now my creel smells like stale beer. I'm griping about this because I earned the right to gripe about it by cleaning up after the freaking bozo who thinks that streamside banks are as much as their property as their house (trailer more likely). C'mon man. Aluminum cans do not belong on the ground by a stream. Maybe a higher-priced trout stamp will keep these morons away. Just my two cents' worth. Besides, delicate ecological conditions require more attention and thus money. The cost of everything else inflates. MN DNR does do a heck of a job under tough conditions. They clean up after the imbeciles, stock our lakes and streams to improve fishing, and then get laid off every time a new politician figures out how bad the budget is overbalanced. Not to mention put up with all sorts of angry hunters and fishers who equate the DNR with the local PD. When I get checked for stamps/licenses I'm not offended at all. The DNR regulates the bums that wreck it for the rest of us, like 'em or lump 'em. I'd rather have an organization like that around and if they need a couple extra bucks to make it work, then sign me up.
Did really well on Saturday too. Caught a grip of strong brownies.

I've often wondered how much our trout stamp fees covers. I suspect that raising a coldwater species is more expensive than the cool water species. I also think there are less of us trout fisherman than walleye fisherman. I guess what I'm getting at is I have a feeling that revenues from fishing license sales help support trout stocking. I don't think it could be maintained on $8.50 from each trout angler. I have no real basis for my feelings, just a hunch.

------------------
Erik

A couple of years ago DNR fisheries put out a publication called "Report to MN Anglers."
I believe it had the info you guys are looking for. If I remember correctly, it had various pie charts of how the Fisheries divisions' budget is broken down. Very nice informative publication. Of coarse, it costs money to produce and distribute such material. I think you now can get this info off the DNR HSOforum, costs them less. You guys should make an effort to find this info for yourselves and not just expect to get it handed to you on a silver platter from St. Paul. After all, would you rather have them out doing trout research, stocking and improving habitat, or working on a glitzy magazine to show you that they are actually out in the field doing something?

The reason that you now must pay for the stamp itself is for the very reason you guys are discussing; so that the money raised for trout management is used for trout management, not printing and mailing stamps.

I believe we have one of the most fiscally responsible DNR agencies of most anywhere, and they don't get credit for it. You guys shouldn't let a couple incidences from years ago effect the great reputation our agency has. Ask yourselves this... Would you rather be trout fishing 20 years ago, or now?

fishforever1000,

Speaking formyself, I'm not disgruntled, [PoorWordUsage]ed off or anything, just want to see where things are at.
Work for the DNR ?

It would be safe to say most of us avid trout anglers appreciate(for the most part) what we have and how things have been taken care of.

Your sentiments are appreciated!

I take a "look see" on the DNR's site "for myself".

Jim W

This is what I have found thus far:

Available fund balance for Trout and Salmon Management at years end in 1999 was $163,465.
In 2002, it jumped to $876,861. All(most) from
revenues collectd on trout stamp.

I have asked a couple DNR officials for beakdown. Not sure about you, but I don't believe I have personally witnessed "great" change in the last 3 years? Whether or not we have a great DNR.

More to come.

Jim W

INteresting,

The "Over sight committee"(appointed by the DNR commisioner, appointed by the Governor) has changed(on a regular basis) what the revenues would/could be spent on. The last change wasn't just for Trout Management it included State purchase of easements?(hmmmm).

ALso, only 10% of these year end funds are dedicated to administrative costs. Kind of low if you ask me. TO me this opens the door for "dip-netting" more freely.

I'll pay the increase, I trout fish. Just thought that we all shouldn't put on our blinders, openly agreeing to increases with out just cause and a detailed itemization of expenditures! THese are more direct dollars here, not like most taxes.

We need RAIN!

Jim W

Fish4ever, I'm sure most people know how and where to get info on the breakdown of fishing revenues, I know I do. Fancy pie-charts and pretty brochures are all nice, but not neccesarily needed, IMO. Mcdonalds, burger King, and other restaraunts have beautiful illustrations of the burgers that you'd "like" to recieve....Quite honestly mine never look like that! When I said "show me" this did not mean in paper, I would like to see obvious improvements. More trout and stream restoration to name a few. I dont want to see pictures and pie-charts, just trout!

Wade22
Don't clump me in your generlization of people who live in trailer houses. I can't afford the luxury of owning a 100,000+ dollar house, but I was able to afford a 40,000 dollar home, Yes I live in a trailer and am D@#n proud of it.
I always clean up my own trash and whatever is left there by other people. I learned at a young age to leave a place cleaner than what is was when I arrived.
Just so you don't take this the wrong way my goal in life it to loose the rest of my teeth and find a woman who will beat me up every day, just so I can be on the Jerry Springer show LOL

Right on Danny Berg. The only people I was trying to clump are the ones who leave streamside trash. Really gets under my skin and I needed to vent. I've found more trash with each trip and I've picked up quite a bit of other people's mindless waste-worm cans, styrofoam cups, beer cans, broken lines with hooks and more. If it read any other way, I profusely apologize. It's pretty unfortunate that these types of people make hard feelings for so many others, like our thread has demonstrated. I guess fishing on streams and rivers has turned into a part-time volunteer waste conservation gig, EVERY time I fish.

Last year was the first year I've ever had a perm fishhouse on any metro lake. I joined in on the Waconia clean-up after houses had to be off the lake and I was so suprised with the trash and the wanton waste of fish left lying on the ice it made me sick. If somebody is out fishing and he catches a small perch or pan fish he should let it go back. There was one house where they had a pile of over 100 small perch and panfish.
I wish I knew whose house that was. I am pretty sure I would have called a CO...

Sorry needed to vent.
But to the original posting, 10 bucks ain't much. if in the future we don't clean and take care of mother earth then we won't have the right to fish or hunt .

Doesn't it all go to stream maintenance? If it doesn't it should. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't trout fishing the only fishing that requires a stamp? If this stamp fund gets pilfered then there really should be a lake fish stamp too. What do you guys think? Why can't the DNR guarantee all the stamp fees go to streams, or do they?

wade

They do NOT all go to stream maintence. As mentioned, 10% goes into the Game and Fish fund.

The Citizen Oversight (or lack of sight committee) makes the decisions(recommendations on where the fee should go and how much the increase should be.

Granted the fee has only gone up 3 times since it's inaugural year in 82 but where the money goes has changed each time as well.

The latest activites eligible for funding are the purchase and easement and fee title land along trout streams, research(whatever that means) and special managment projets on Lake Superior and portions of its tributaries(info directly from the DNR's Trout and Salmon Management.

For me I haven't witnessed a "ton" of change in streams, granted I am not on everyone of them either.

If I didn't mention this earlier, the year end available funds in 1999 were 163,465 at year end 2002 it was $876,861. After year end 2004 there should be a nice fund balance.

I haven;t had time to see the breakdown, but hopefully I will soon. I e-mailed Ron Payer director of fisheries a week ago and have yet to hear back.

If you have time give it a try.

[email protected]

Jim W

Since I haven't seen much stocking data lately, I'm curious as to how much of this money goes into stocking. Also what's the ratio between stream stocking and lake. Lake stocking seems to have petered off a bit IMO which bothers me as that's mostly what I fish. Hope to see you guys on Burntside this winter!

chunky

this is like the third message I've posted this morning so i'll shut up for a while but wanted you guys to see this article on the star tribune's web site today about SE trout fisheries management. i think this is the guy that Jim mentioned in a previous post:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/531/4064296.html

i will say that the wisconsin trout streams i frequently fish have similar slot limits and i think these are responsible for producing some outstanding fishing. hopefully our dnr fellas can successfully allocate these trout stamp fees to make our streams and fish healthier for a long time. if we're paying for the streams then keep the money focused 100 percent on the streams.

I just recieved an e-mail fron the Trout and Salmon management Consultant. He claimed he would be sending me a detailed itemization of trout stamp allocations!

As soon as I get it I'll try to share it.

Jim

IF YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR DOLLERS AT WORK GO TO SEVEN MILE CREEK NEAR MANKATO YOULL SEE THE WASTED MONEY THERE. i dont know what the dnr is thinking but that stream has almost no water at all times of the year with the exception of after a rain. another example is little jordan creek nice improvements no fish.(granted i havent fished it since spring but i cant see them appering out of no where.)

this is just my 2 cents but i dont think we need to spend mony on a stream that just might hold fish on a nice wet year but losses all its fish on a dry year.

troutman72 CPR always