• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SPOTS

smellzalilfishee

I guess i am not completely clear on this question and was thinking someone out there could help.. Spots, why are some trout so unbelievably spotty, while others may have only a few spots?? This happens even in the same water so is it diet?? or the strain of the trout, hatchery or wild, or something else???? Thank you for any feedback.
smellz

[This message has been edited by smellzalilfishee (edited 08-06-2003).]

smells,

I'm no fisheries biologist, but you nailed it when saying "strain". Different brown strains have been introduced. ALso, normal genetics take place in creating fabulous and not so fabulous patterns.

I've been told that the browners with less spots is a strain from out West. Haven't seen it documented, but I guess it isn't that big of a deal to me.

Gotta love them heavily brown spotted fish with the deep orange or red spots and the underlying gold!!!!
I'll do some diggin t see what I can find.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 08-06-2003).]

THE SPOTS HAVE TO BE GENETIC, AND THE CLARITY/BRIGHTNESS COULD BE SOMETHING WITH THEIR DIET.
I DON'T KNOW THAT'S A TOUGH QUESTION.
THAT MAY NEVER BE ANSWERED CORRECTLY

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

I think Spots have to due with strain, age, location(darker fish tend to come from darker water like shaded holes, under cut banks or stained water. Its a camoflage thing)and diet.

I'm not an expert but this is what I have found.

Tight Lines!

Rob

My understanding of the spots is that it's the the strain of the trout.

I also love the one's that have a ton of spots on them. I also love the one's with only a few spots on them.
If you look closely a the gill covers, some of the browns will have a little blue.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

I guess after reading my post I think I was more talking about coloration oposed to their spots. Although I have noticed some smaller imature browns tend to have different markings than some older fish, but yes the spot deal is differences by strain.

Maybe I should take a break from catfishin to acctually wet a my fly line. Its been over a month now since I have. I'm heading out friday.

Tight Lines!
Rob