• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullies

mamba

That's been my method, but I've spent countless hours fishing it, and can only manage to catch 7-10" ones. I'm positive the small guys are in there though because every spring the little 1" guys swarm in schools on the surface. Do you recommend something better to thin out the big guys?

seine nets work good in small creek i have never tryed it in a lake but maybe i'll try it soon and let you know but ya i just use the 15'ft frabil they sell at walmart or fleetfarm and added tall poles to push the net all the way to the bottom

I made a few of my own minnow traps and have great success catching bullies, as a matter of fact, I just dumped about 30 of them back in the creek this morning as I have enough right now. They are not the 6"ers but they range from 2-5 inches. I took a Busch light beer bottle and opened the throat to 1.5"'s the legal dia. I measured it with a micrometer.

I've had pretty good luck with my minnow trap for bullies. I typically throw some old meat from my fridge or freezer in the trap. If don't get anything the first night, I leave it for another night...once that meat gets rotten they really seem to come rolling in. Beef or pork seems to work best; I tried a chunk of rotten chicken once and all I got were crawfish....

The Frabill Crawfish trap will do better for Bullheads.

FrabillTraps.jpg

The size of the opening is better fit for them and offers an adjustable gate entrance better fit for larger baitfish with broad heads. They also serve for capturing larger Creek Chubs, Bullheads or Madtoms / Stoncat, Waterdogs, frogs in the fall, and of course Crayfish, all which can be favorite forage offerings for catfish through the year.

Minnow trap entrance openings may be regulated by law in some states, so expanding it on the minnow trap may be illegal or require a license or permit to use.