• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning Scum off the boat

muddpuppy

I let the boat sit in the water for 2 weeks very uncommon for me. Now I have hardwater scum that I can not remove. I have tried Vinager/water mix rubbing compound and alot of elbow grease. I got some off but not all. After a good waxin you can hardly see but it's still there. what do you guys use to get rid of this stuff?

I let the boat sit in the water for 2 weeks very uncommon for me. Now I have hardwater scum that I can not remove. I have tried Vinager/water mix rubbing compound and alot of elbow grease. I got some off but not all. After a good waxin you can hardly see but it's still there. what do you guys use to get rid of this stuff?

I use laundry detergent, fabric softener and vinegar for external boat washing. The enzyme levels in laundry detergent work well with vinegar and the fabric softener is a nice buffer when using hard city and/or well water.

We leave our boat (Glass) in the water from May thru Oct. and have quite a scum line at the end of the season.

We have used several product that have worked Zing, Rolloff and even toilet bowl cleaner. I understand you probably have an Aluminum boat so some of the products may have an undesirable effect on the paint.

Try an Arm & Hammer "Magic Eraser".

You may be plesenty surprised. No marring of the paint or fiberglass, and cleans everything right up with little effort.

If that dont work.... get out the Blue Dawn Dish Soap (BDDS).... Man I love that stuff. grinwink

Can never have enough Zep Essox. Nice!! Zepride will do wonders. Best defense against this is a good, solid wax that won't let the scum become attached to the metal/fiberglass hull in the 1st place. If the wax is applied correctly a mild or gentle soap is all that's neede to clean this stuff off going forward. There are also some aerosol spray waxes (Dazzle) that can be applied routinely to keep water spots and scum from reappearing. Do the work up front to avoid the really hard work once this problem arises.

Lots of stuff to try now. I would have never thought of bathroom cleaners. I do normally hand wax a couple of times a year and then spry wax after every use but got lazy this year. I am now paying for it. One of the ose live and learn deal I guess

Lot's of the larger marina's and boat detailing places around our state and in the Spirit Lake, Ia area use a form of toilet bowl cleaner to clean off the hulls of boats. It does work good but it's really hard to work with and just as hard on surrounding surfaces (concrete).