• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout suggestions for WHitewater ???

Walleye_GFA

Heading to White Water this Thursday... plan on using cranks, jigs, crawler, power bait... whatever so the kids can catch some...

Any particular ideas ???

Also what do you guys think about selective ahrvest there ??? Are these all stocked, is there natural production ???

Last ??? do they clip the adipose fin of hatchery fish ???

Walleye_GFA

Selective harvest is kinda tough when bait fishing, trout tend to swallow bait. I flyfish but I used to spin fish and if you would like your kids to catch some eatin fish, catch some grasshoppers(which is fun for kids too).

I flyfish now beacause bait fishing just got to be way to easy and is not at all Catch and Realease friendly.

The white water area is stocked with rainbows BUT there natural repoduction of browns.

As far as clipping fins, I don't think so but its pretty safe to say any rainbow you catch is stocked.

Good Luck and Tight lines!

Rob

WALLEYE, DEPENDS ON THE AGE OF THE KIDS. BAIT (WORMS) IS THE BEST WITH YOUNGER KIDS BUT THE GRASSHOPPER IDEA IS A GREAT ONE ANOTHER ONE IS CRICKETS. I WAS GOING TO TRY THIS, IS CATCH A BUNCH OF GRASSHOPPERS AND CRICKETS ANTHING THAT HAS THE HARD SKELETON, AND FREEZE THEM. THEN SUPER GLUE THEM TO SMALL HOOKS, I'D USE THEM MAINLY ON A FLYROD BUT YOU'D THINK YOU COULD USE THEM JUST LIKE A WORM. NOW I KNOW THAT A FROZEN HOPPER IS NOTHING LIKE THE ONES THAT ARE ALIVE, BUT IF YOU'VE TRIED CASTING A HOPPER YOU TEND TO USE ABOUT 3 PER ONE CAST ON THE WATER. IF FROZEN AND GLUED YOU'D NEVER LOSE THEM.
WITH OLDER KIDS THAT CAN HANDLE A FISHING ROD SMALL SPINNERS AND RAPALAS WORK REAL WELL, PLUS IT GIVES THEM A CHANCE TO PRACTICE CASTING.
GOOD LUCK...

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

I never had too much trouble with the grasshoppers coming off. What you do is hold the hopper belly side up, run the hook under the chest plate starting at the neck. All the hook shank gets covered, like putting on a jig body. The trout like em fresh though. The only thing about hoppers is that they like to spit some brown stuff like tobbaco spit on your fingers when putting them on. eeewww! LOL

Rob

RUSHING THANKS I WILL DEFFINETLY TRY THAT, I'VE ALWAYS CAME IN FROM THE SIDE OR TOP.
SMELLS YOU CAN THROW A BOBBER ON A FLY ROD, OH WAIT IS THAT WHAT YOU SMALL FISH CATCHING COLORADO FISHERMAN CALL A STRIKE INDICATOR.
SMELLS I'VE SEEN IN THE PAST SUBJECTS THAT YOU'VE FISHED THE RUSH RIVER IN WIS.
I'LL MAKE UP 10 OF MY FROZEN HOPPERS AND YOU GET 10 OF YOUR SUPER (REALISTIC) HOPPERS AND LETS MAKE A GOOD AUGUST DAY ON THE RUSH WITH IT.
DO YOU LIVE IN THE TWIN CITIES?

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

hey Tstephens, i would love to hit the water with ya, email me at [email protected].. we will make a good day of it, although i am worried that i may find you laying in the weeds sniffing your glue bottle. hahaha. JimW ok i will try to clean it up! just having some fun with Tstephens no harm intended, he seems to take it in stride. anyway good luck fellas. p.s tstephens do you think just gluing a landing net to my hook would be effective???

SMELLS, I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THE GLUE DRY'S AND I WAKE UP FROM THE MANY NAPS I TOOK WHILE I WAS MAKING THESE ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZWHOA DOSED OFF THERE FOR A MINUTE THIS INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH LOCK TITE IS REALLY COOL WHOA HA HA. DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT CHICKEN!!!
OKAY I'M HERE NOW, SMELLS I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I COME DOWN.
-K-.

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"