• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 piece loomis stuck like glue

So i've NEVER had this happen before and im a bit flustered over it but.......

so i'm goin out in my float tube one day and have my GL3 7' 2 piece strapped to my float tube. i set the tube in the lake get in unstrap my rod put it together and bam its stuck like i super glued it worst part is the eyes arent in line. I figure there must be some water in it causing a vacuum and maybe a full day of fishing in the sun will heat it enough that the expansion of heated water will help pop it apart. But no, its now 3 weeks later and still no luck shes still stuck tight. now its not a lack of muscle causing me to be unable to seperate them as i am no wet noodle and even my pal who tears phone books in half as a measure of stress relief can not get it to give.

SO i look for anyone who has had this happen and has an idea as what to do short of sending it back to loomis and looking foolish.

Maybe you have already tried this already but it may help someone else in taking a stuck rod apart. With your feet close together take the rod and put it behind the back of your knees. Then grab the rod with each hand with your arms resting against the side of your knees. Using your legs spread your knees forcing your hands holding the rod apart. You can apply much more force and steady pressure to the rod with out twisting the blank.

Oooooooh, I would not twist the rod, you will tear the fibers and destroy the rod. Use the technique behind your knees, bet it will work swell. Pressure applied in a straight line will work. Don't twist it. After it comes apart, clean the ferrules and mating surfaces with denatured alcohol or soap and water.

thanks for the tips guys but man its just stuck tight. ive never seen one this bad lol. so i think im gonna try runnin boiling water over the female end to see if i can any water in it to steam an maybe pop it off that way. i am worried about what it may do to my poor little rod though, so ill wait to see what you guys think about this idea. other wise im just gonna call loomis and have a new one sent out to me

Quote:
bam its stuck like i super glued

you could sweat it out maybe? try melting wax and let it drip on the meeting point. you may need to dust the area with a flame. kind of the same principle as sweating copper pipe but more gentle, if it even has a minute gap for entry (even if it can't be seen). a gentle pull should hopefully free it but you may need a gentle twist to get it started. and a blow dryer to keep it liquid. maybe sweat it in with the blow dryer? i never tried this on delicates but i've used it on bolts with mixed results. i put a little wax on the male end every once in a while on my ''one'' two piece i own, never had a problem, lol, kind of like you till now. good luck.

yeah i guess i should clarify. when i say dust, i mean like removeing bubbles in thread wrap. just enough to let it suck in. like sweating i spose youd need to heat the two blanks up then drip the wax on. but that an awful expensive rod to practice with... forget i said anything. i just used it to free some pretty stuborn rusty bolts on exhaust and a few other things. i guess i'd have to wonder what effect heat would have on graphite? would that make it brittle maybe? heck with it, just trade that baby in and be done with it.

you can apply heat to the rod with a zippo lighter just never do it directly on the blank...hold the blank to the side of the flame and keep turning.

One trick my grandpa taught me with my first fly rod was...before putting the rod together, rub the male end of the blank on the side of my nose to add a little bit of "slick" so they wouldn't stick together so tight.