• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout Stream Conditions--Bemidji Area

wade22

Hey everyone:
I'll be in the Bemidji area over the fourth of July weekend and was wondering if there are any trout streams/rivers worth checking out. I've only heard of two so far and I'm not sure they're currently in fishable condition. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
And I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I've searched up and down the Vermillion River near Farmington/Lakeville and can't find a good public access. Does anyone know where I can get on the Vermillion to fly fish for some trout? Don't worry--I catch and release everything I pull up (which usually means suckers and carp).
Thanks in advance to everyone who makes this site click and have a safe fourth of July.----wade22

Wade22 you can access the Vermillion anywhere a road crosses the river. Just be sure to keep your feet in the water so you don't get in trouble.

The river isn't that deep of a river so wading isn't much of a problem.

The city park is a public access.

Good Luck!

------------------
"Study to be quite"

Wade22,
I've been fishing the area behind the Farmington fire department with much success earlier in the year. I was back there about a week ago and vegetation is pretty gnarly. There were still some decent holes remaining but the water level is low. I did have a couple of nice browns on using a rapala so there still in there.
I would park behind the fire station (its across the road from the high school) and access the river from there. You have about a mile or so of fishing upstream before your in someones backyard. You can also fish down stream to the park from there. Don't forget the bug spray.
I can't believe I just gave away one of my fishing spots. Please, if any one fishes this river, practice CPR always.

Good luck!

I forgot to mention, I caught a 10+ lb pike about a mile upstream from the fire station. I had mixed feelings about turning it loose, thinking about about all the little brown trout this pig would eat. A part of me wanted to smash it over the head and let it rot on the stream bank, but I couldn't bring myself to doing it. There is a 24+ inch brown in this section of water that I have hooked 3 time this year and have been unable to land. It kind of reminds me of the movie "Grumpy Old Men" where He has a name for that big bass that had always gotten away but finally catches. I can't remember but I think he (Walter Mathews) either lets it go or it slips down the hole in his ice shack.
One of these days I'm going to catch her.

Thanks Cab and Renneberg...if you see me out there this week stop by for a while. I'll give that brown hog a run for his money with my mad skillz. I should really start bringing a camera with; nothing compares with visual proof versus more "fish" stories.
Interesting dilemma with the pike. Do you guys release suckers and carp too (just wondering)? Does it matter? Haven't caught any "bottom feeders" yet myself on a trout stream so I'm just checking.
Thanks again for the tips!----wade22