• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor issues

harvey lee

I have a MInn Kota Powerdrive 55 V2 auto pilot.

Seems when I troll in the highest speed, my circut breaker gets hot and the motor quits. The breaker does not kick out so I do not have to reset it. After 1-15 minutes its cools down and works fine for awhile again. I can troll on the slower speeds for hours with no issues at all so its only on high power setting.

I talked with Minn Kota and they asked what gauge wire and I had what was needed. They also asked what amp breaker and I told them a 50. They said a 60 is required.

I thenn called the marine dealer that sold me the boat new and asked them why they put a 50amp breaker in when Minn Kota requires a 60. They told me LUND sends out all their boats pre wired with 50 amp breakers.

I also have a new Optimax group 31 battery in there so it cannot be the battery.

I can find no bare wires.

Any ideas what the issue may be?

Hey Harvey, did you find what gauge the wire is? It might be too small for the run you have, and that is what is doing it. We have Alumacraft tp175 (1997) and had similar probs with a 24v motor we put in. Come to find out that most boat manufacturers (at that time anyway) used 10 and some 12 guage wires. We put in new 8 ga. and the proper breaker (60 amp) and no problems since.

I bet with it on high, it it just too much juice running through for your (probably) 10 amp wires.

I hope it works out for you Tom.

I suggested breaker after hearing all connections were clean and tight. Loose or dirty connections will heat up. Since only the breaker was getting hot I'd assume the contacts inside the breaker were at fault.