• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Local Police Dept

GlassEyeangler

Sounds like hntnbux might be in LAW Enforcement???

I agree whether right or wrong when a enforcement agent is engaged he should give consideration to all and not ignore. Maybe egicate the individual on the law and thank him for his concern maybe ask the person to help clean the trailer. But never completely ignore those who provide the ends to his means!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did receive an E-mail from the police dept. they read the forum. And are passing the info on the county sheriff's. Since it would have been a county sheriffs boat. People should be willing to talk with others about stopping the spead of invasive species. No matter who they are.

Glass eye sounds to me like one of those guys who will find something wrong with law enforcement whenever he sees them! Even if the guy was doing everything right, you would have found sometihng to cry about. If it wouldn't have been some weeds, it would have been boots that were not quite shiny enough or a vehicle pulling the boat that guzzled just a little too much gas. I can't begin to imagine the 1000's of different scenerios that could have really went down at that landing that day.

You have no idea what that officer could have been dealing with in that peticular moment. What you thought was a smug response could have been an officer that was getting ready to go to a call where something terrible just happened... after all, he has seen and done things that you could never imagine in your wildest dreams. Maybe he was just being a [PoorWordUsage] too! After dealing with them all day, maybe your comment was just the last straw. If thats the case, I bet he wishes he could take it back, but we've all let someone get the best of us before. Right? I suppose you never have though glassy. I don't know every detail, and honestly, I doubt you do either. I do know one thing for a fact though. I GUARANTEE that boat trailer did not touch the water with those weeds on it. He wasn't going to give you the satisfation of "I told you so" though.

That being said, there is no excuse for ANY boat trailer to have weeds on it these days. We all know the consiquences! I just find it hard to bad mouth this peticular agency without hearing both sides. To be perfectly honest, I think it was rather tacky of you to post this on a site like this. If you had a problem, you should have contacted the department directly. I can promise that if what you say is true, it would have been handled proffessionally and to your satisfaction. Then again you would have done that by now... right? I'd like to know where you currently work there glassy, and we'll all watch your every move, wait for you to screw up, then post it on the web for everyone to see.

P.S. If you actually make it in law enforcement, you'll see how much this sucks someday. You seem to be such an honest perfect guy... that means it will really hurt when someone does this to you!

Glass eye sounds to me like one of those guys who will find something wrong with law enforcement whenever he sees them! Even if the guy was doing everything right, you would have found sometihng to cry about. If it wouldn't have been some weeds, it would have been boots that were not quite shiny enough or a vehicle pulling the boat that guzzled just a little too much gas. I can't begin to imagine the 1000's of different scenerios that could have really went down at that landing that day.

You have no idea what that officer could have been dealing with in that peticular moment. What you thought was a smug response could have been an officer that was getting ready to go to a call where something terrible just happened... after all, he has seen and done things that you could never imagine in your wildest dreams. Maybe he was just being a [PoorWordUsage] too! After dealing with them all day, maybe your comment was just the last straw. If thats the case, I bet he wishes he could take it back, but we've all let someone get the best of us before. Right? I suppose you never have though glassy. I don't know every detail, and honestly, I doubt you do either. I do know one thing for a fact though. I GUARANTEE that boat trailer did not touch the water with those weeds on it. He wasn't going to give you the satisfation of "I told you so" though.

That being said, there is no excuse for ANY boat trailer to have weeds on it these days. We all know the consiquences! I just find it hard to bad mouth this peticular agency without hearing both sides. To be perfectly honest, I think it was rather tacky of you to post this on a site like this. If you had a problem, you should have contacted the department directly. I can promise that if what you say is true, it would have been handled proffessionally and to your satisfaction. Then again you would have done that by now... right? I'd like to know where you currently work there glassy, and we'll all watch your every move, wait for you to screw up, then post it on the web for everyone to see.

P.S. If you actually make it in law enforcement, you'll see how much this sucks someday. You seem to be such an honest perfect guy... that means it will really hurt when someone does this to you!

Ouch, that gotta sting!!! laugh

i dont think that glasseye was being too critical. i mean come on, there is a chance that he had just recieved a call. but you cant just assume that and use it as an excuse. it is ridiculous if in fact the sheriff wasnt in a hurry and did not take the time to pull off the weeds.

personally, i fully recognize the fact that our police officers and firefighters and such are the heroes and great people of our society but i do not try to think of them as perfect people. to be honest i think a lot of officers and all people in power have a tendency to be stuck up at times and to over use their authority.

that is a whole different discussion, and i may be bashed, but i have heard of great citizens coming across some bad cops, although i do recognize that there are more good cops than bad cops(example-9/11, lots of cops and firefighters putting their lives on the line). well im off to mexico on a mission trip for 2 weeks so i wont be able to respond to any bashing i get grin

Well said Burnham and I agree with you. I think the chances are there he had received a call but pretty slim. I don't think they would call an officer pulling a boat to an emergency. I could be wrong on that. Either way, doesn't matter, should have pulled the weeds off the trailer.

"Either way, doesn't matter, should have pulled the weeds off the trailer." Why? If you look at the statue he isn't doing anything wrong. NO VIOLATION.

I would compare this with a person walking up to an officer who is parked in a parking lot, in his squad, without his seatbelt on and making a "you should have your belt on" type comment.

Or better yet an officer pulls up to you while your in your car in a parking lot, parked, and the cop writes you a cite for not having a seatbelt on. You all would cry bloody murder because there is NO VIOLATION.

Leave this officer and dept. alone they have better things to do than field a complaint about this.

I am not sure why you say no violation. I seem to remember when the law first came into play. At some of the more public launches they would wait for you to leave and have a checkpoint as you left. My assumption was they were writing tickets if you did not have everything pulled off.

I have not reread all the posts, even with that the details are sketchy. But at a minimum I expect police officers to be setting a good example.

I am not sure why you say no violation. I seem to remember when the law first came into play. At some of the more public launches they would wait for you to leave and have a checkpoint as you left. My assumption was they were writing tickets if you did not have everything pulled off.

I have not reread all the posts, even with that the details are sketchy. But at a minimum I expect police officers to be setting a good example.

Exactly... the trailer in question was parked at the access when this guy felt the need to be noticed. The trailer was at the access! Go to any ramp this weekend. You will be able to find weeds on most of the empty trailers. The owners will have done nothing wrong. (Unless they load and leave without removing the weeds, but that is not what this discussion is about. Am I missing something?)

From the DNR:

DNR NEWS - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media contacts: Colleen Coyne, DNR communications director, 651-259-5023; Capt. John Hunt DNR Water Resource Enforcement manager, 651-259-5040.

Stepped-up invasive species enforcement

results in citations and warnings

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) conservation officers recently issued about a dozen citations and several warnings in the Mille Lacs area. Most citations were for transporting aquatic macrophytes and failing to drain water.

The CO's also distributed educational materials in a stepped-up effort to reduce the spread of invasive species that threaten native fish and wildlife, and water recreation.

Under Minnesota law, it is illegal to transport invasive aquatic plants and animals, as well as water from waterbodies infested with zebra mussels and spiny waterfleas. Violators could face fines up to $500.

“We hope these citations and warnings will raise awareness that this state looks at invasive species very seriously,” said Capt. John Hunt, DNR water resource enforcement manager. “Once a species like the zebra mussel gets into our waters, it’s very unlikely we can eliminate it. That’s why prevention is critical."

The increased enforcement effort will include a greater presence at public water accesses, where officers will look closely for violations. Officers will also give out informational cards, which explain laws on transporting infested water and aquatic invasive species, to all boaters.

By taking a few simple steps when leaving a lake or river, boaters and anglers can do their part to help stop the spread of aquatic hitchhikers.

The key steps are to clean, drain, and dry boats and equipment:

Clean all aquatic plants, zebra mussels, and other aquatic animals from boats, equipment and trailers before leaving the water access.

Drain water from bilges, live wells, and bait containers before leaving the water access.

Dry boats and equipment for five days, or spray with high pressure and hot water before transporting to another lake or river.

The zebra mussels can be unintentionally transported on boats and trailers because they can remain alive while being transported out of water, and they attach to boats, aquatic plants, and other objects.

Intercepting invasive-contaminated boats at landings is just a small part of the solution, Hunt noted, because it will take the combined efforts of citizens, businesses, visitors, and other law enforcement agencies to contain the spread of these harmful species.

“Any success in controlling the spread of invasive species will rely heavily on boat owners taking responsibility for their boats,” Hunt said. “It’s important that they know what to look for and thoroughly clean their boats.”

For more information on zebra mussels and other aquatic invasive species, see http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/index.html. And, for more information on ways to help stop aquatic hitchhikers go to www.mndnr.gov.

Even the press release says BEFORE LEAVING the access not while parked at the access.

I agree the officer in the original post did nothing wrong.....they easily could have set a good example by removing the weeds from the trailer right away but they were not in violation unless they drove out of the access with weeds still in tow.......

but the original poster did say the weeds were "caked on" to me this usually means the trailer hadn't been cleaned in awhile as I have never had weeds "caked on" and I pull the boat and trailer out of some pretty weedy launches....but I guess his "caked" and my "caked" could be totatlly different....

and I will also add that I remove the weeds from the trailer after I launch just cause they are easier to grab without the boat on and hopefully this will make the removing of weeds after I load up a little easier and quicker.....

Yesterday I'm at Lake Marion in Lakeville, and noticed a Sheriff's truck with trailer at the access. I noticed upon walking by, the trailer had weeds caked on it everywhere. I also saw the sheriff's Lund boat at the dock, and one of the officers getting off to have a conversation with another officer on shore. When he walked by I told him he should remove the weeds from his trailer (nicely, I might add) and he completely blew me off and walked away. Is our local police department above the law???

Here it is from the original post. The truck with the trailer, and boat at the dock!!!!

The officer did nothing wrong.

Too many people assumed that they were leaving. Not according to the original post.

84D.10 PROHIBITED ACT; WATERCRAFT.

Subdivision 1.Launching prohibited.

A person may not place or attempt to place into waters of the state a watercraft, a trailer, or plant harvesting equipment that has aquatic macrophytes, zebra mussels, or prohibited invasive species attached except as provided in this section.

Guy's the above was listed on about the fifth response to this thread.

If you read the law carefully it says you can't put a boat into the water with weeds on it. It doesn't say when you have to take the weeds off. Just because it seems to be well accepted to do it at the launch when leaving doesn't mean the law requires it. Just because some DNR summer worker is there for some type of inspection doesn't mean you have to do it at the launch.

I for one would rather get out of everyone's way and get down on my hands and knees and do the task on the clean dry driveway at my home.

It would seem that the officer(s) involved hadn't done anything obviously wrong, and frankly it seems as if a lot of readers don't know the law. Chill out folks, unbundle the undies, and get upset over something important.

I just had a funny idea come to mind. Wouldn’t it be interesting if law enforcement officers could watch us at work all day? I wonder what your bosses and co-workers and also the media would think. 10 fifteen minute breaks to smoke. Not washing your hands after using the bathroom (doesn’t that burger taste funny) and the ever popular sales call on the first tee. I wonder how many of us can’t wait to break the record at whack-a-penguin during business hours. I suggest we all just take a little closer look at our own actions and stop micromanaging. We all hate that don’t we?

Darter, I agree, I think out country has become a country of old ladies and whiners about other people...don't know where everyone with a beef feels its ok to complain about other people all the time has come from....media? goverment?, Its gotten pretty discouraging to open the paper, watch the news, etc and its nothing but complaining and whining about everyone and everything else...cripes, everyone just shut up and worry about their own actions...ok, I'll stop complaining now