• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Local Police Dept

GlassEyeangler

Ok...so, the MN DNR works really hard to ensure that all of us remove weeds from our boat/trailer after every use to prevent invasive species from spreading. This is a practice that becomes part of my boat landing ritual, and it doesn't take but a few minutes.

Yesterday I'm at Lake Marion in Lakeville, and noticed a Sheriff's truck with trailer at the access. I noticed upon walking by, the trailer had weeds caked on it everywhere. I also saw the sheriff's Lund boat at the dock, and one of the officers getting off to have a conversation with another officer on shore. When he walked by I told him he should remove the weeds from his trailer (nicely, I might add) and he completely blew me off and walked away. Is our local police department above the law???

Roughly a week ago on Fox Lake, I was approached by a boat with two officers, and when they approached my boat they said..."don't worry, we're not here to check licenses, just life jackets"...did they feel the need to enable those who don't fish without licenses???

Come on police...never forget you are trusted servants of the public and need to lead by example!

I feel strongly that our police dept should be on the lake, as there are a lot of people out there who do not follow the rules...but again, please follow them yourselves!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A neighbor of mine recently encountered the same thing over the 4th. There was a sheriff's boat that pulled out of the access with the boat on the trailer caked with weeds. The team got out, strapped the boat down and then headed off with weeds still all over the trailer frame. He jumped in his pickup because he lived next to the access and chased them down on the road and got them to pull over. They got out and he asked them the same thing nicely about "you have weeds on your trailer, don't you think you should remove them?" Their response was "well we would take them off before we put in at the next access." My neighbor gave them the same lecture of what must the public think when you, the enforcers, spread around weeds on your boat trailers without hesitation. It's sad to say, but there's no way realistically we can stop the spread of exotic species. If we can't even get the law to follow the law, we definitely have a problem.

Take a picture of the Sherriff's rig and send it to your favorite local TV news channel. Once they run a story the behavior will change... They should follow the same practices all of us follow.

Ha! Good advise. The news enforces the law more then you know. Unfortunately, they are not on my friends list.

I've never seen such a thing. That's really too bad. While I enjoy having them on the water to keep the numbskulls in line, having them break laws that are put in place for a reason is just not right. I like Walleye Guys comment about tipping off the local news station. They (the media) feed off of stuff like that and I think it's a great way to keep even the officers and law enforcement in check. Take a few photo's and call your local CO next time to see what might be done. I would love to see a CO writing a ticket to a Sheriff or someone of equal power. Thanks for bringing this up.

"...truck with trailer at the access. I noticed upon walking by, the trailer had weeds caked on it everywhere."

If I read this correctly I don't think that just having weeds on your trailer while it is at the access would be a violation. Did you see them transport the aquatic macrophytes (weeds)? What kind of "weeds" were they? You would need to have a violation BEFORE calling your CO or local TV station... See also MS 84D.13.

84D.10 PROHIBITED ACT; WATERCRAFT.

Subdivision 1.Launching prohibited.

A person may not place or attempt to place into waters of the state a watercraft, a trailer, or plant harvesting equipment that has aquatic macrophytes, zebra mussels, or prohibited invasive species attached except as provided in this section.

Subd. 2.Exceptions.

Unless otherwise prohibited by law, a person may place into the waters of the state a watercraft or trailer with aquatic macrophytes:

(1) that are duckweeds in the family Lemnaceae;

(2) for purposes of shooting or observation blinds attached in or on watercraft in amounts sufficient for that purpose, if the aquatic macrophytes are emergent and cut above the waterline;

(3) that are wild rice harvested under section 84.091; or

(4) in the form of fragments of emergent aquatic macrophytes incidentally transported in or on watercraft or decoys used for waterfowl hunting during the waterfowl season.

Subd. 3.Removal and confinement.

A conservation officer or other licensed peace officer may order:

(1) the removal of aquatic macrophytes or prohibited invasive species from a trailer or watercraft before it is placed into waters of the state;

(2) confinement of the watercraft at a mooring, dock, or other location until the watercraft is removed from the water; and

(3) removal of a watercraft from waters of the state to remove prohibited invasive species if the water has not been designated by the commissioner as being infested with that species.

GlassEye said, "When he walked by I told him he should remove the weeds from his trailer (nicely, I might add) and he completely blew me off and walked away."

What should he have done; thanked you, struck up a conversation with you? Maybe since there wasn't any violation on his part he thought that you were making a smarta$$ comment.

"LEAD BY EXAMPLE" I don't get that, what had he done that was wrong, illegal, or immoral? Should officer's be ticketing boats and trailers in the public access parking lots? I think I would like the chance to remove the weeds from my boat before I get a ticket.

All in all, I'm not real sure what your beef is.

I dont know what time you were at marrion, but they were at crystal lake around 4 yesterday as well. I did not notice any weeds on their trailer, but i was not looking.

I did find it funny that the officer driving the truck couldnt back it in to the ramp to save his life. Drove it off the side of the ramp 2 or 3 times and then when he did finally get it in straight he was either too deep or too shallow to load the boat...If thats all they do all day, shouldnt they be pretty good at it by now?

I was under the impression that a person was supposed to remove all aquatic vegetation from their boat and trailer, before leaving the access. It's too easy to forget to do it when you get to the next lake.

I think the point of glasseyeangler is that we all have at one time or another been “educated” by the DNR whether in person, print, or some sort of media that it is very important to remove all aquatic vegetation from out boat and or trailer upon exiting the launch, and it’s kind of a black eye on the water patrol to pull away with weeds hanging.

Nobody said any laws were broken, but maybe it would be nice to set an example, especially at a public launch.

As far as being blown off, I can’t begin to imagine the things the patrol deals with on a daily basis, so that’s probably understandable, but perhaps a simple “thanks for the reminder” would’ve been prudent.

"...truck with trailer at the access. I noticed upon walking by, the trailer had weeds caked on it everywhere."

If I read this correctly I don't think that just having weeds on your trailer while it is at the access would be a violation. Did you see them transport the aquatic macrophytes (weeds)? What kind of "weeds" were they? You would need to have a violation BEFORE calling your CO or local TV station... See also MS 84D.13.

A person may not place or attempt to place into waters of the state a watercraft, a trailer, or plant harvesting equipment that has aquatic macrophytes, zebra mussels, or prohibited invasive species attached except as provided in this section.

Subd. 2.Exceptions.

Unless otherwise prohibited by law, a person may place into the waters of the state a watercraft or trailer with aquatic macrophytes:

(2) for purposes of shooting or observation blinds attached in or on watercraft in amounts sufficient for that purpose, if the aquatic macrophytes are emergent and cut above the waterline;

(4) in the form of fragments of emergent aquatic macrophytes incidentally transported in or on watercraft or decoys used for waterfowl hunting during the waterfowl season.

(1) the removal of aquatic macrophytes or prohibited invasive species from a trailer or watercraft before it is placed into waters of the state;

(2) confinement of the watercraft at a mooring, dock, or other location until the watercraft is removed from the water; and

(3) removal of a watercraft from waters of the state to remove prohibited invasive species if the water has not been designated by the commissioner as being infested with that species.

For what it's worth. A friend of mine recieved a written waring from a conservation officer for not removing weeds from his trailer. The weeds were not invasive, and he was on an uninfested body of water. The officer told him the law says to remove all plants before leaving the launch.

Lousy... You'd think that would be standard for CO's as it is for the rest of us.

QUOTING GLASSEYEANGLER-

"Roughly a week ago on Fox Lake, I was approached by a boat with two officers, and when they approached my boat they said..."don't worry, we're not here to check licenses, just life jackets"...did they feel the need to enable those who don't fish without licenses???"

I always get a kick out of the fact that there seems to be no standard procedure. I've been checked many more times for my fire extinguisher than fishing license and what they check is always different. Maybe the idea is to keep everyone on their toes...

I think the point of glasseyeangler is that we all have at one time or another been “educated” by the DNR whether in person, print, or some sort of media that it is very important to remove all aquatic vegetation from out boat and or trailer upon exiting the launch, and it’s kind of a black eye on the water patrol to pull away with weeds hanging.

Nobody said any laws were broken, but maybe it would be nice to set an example, especially at a public launch.

As far as being blown off, I can’t begin to imagine the things the patrol deals with on a daily basis, so that’s probably understandable, but perhaps a simple “thanks for the reminder” would’ve been prudent.

That's exactly what I got out of it. I would think they would want their trailers cleaned off before leaving. I know the DNR kids have stopped me about three times this year and said that plants have to be cleaned off before leaving a landing. Mine where by the way, it was just the knowledge patrol.

What is my beef??

Just like what has already been said...we fisherman here in MN cannot escape the 'remove the aquatic hitchhikers' message even if we tried. For example, tv commercials, signs on the message boards at each lake, radio, internet...hell, the DNR is now creating volunteer positions for people to get out to a number of lakes just to ask which lake i was on prior to, and which one i plan on going to next - then i'm given a sticker to put on my trailer. i agree with what the DNR is trying to achieve and will do my part. i do not want milfoil up at my cabin lake.

As far as the cop is concerned...he can do his part and remove the weeds just like the rest of us. It's kinda like the no helmet law for motorcycles...i've never seen a motorcycle cop ride without one, even if there isn't a helmet law (not sure about MN, i'm referring to any state, i know Ohio doesn't have a helmet law)...they still wear them - hmm, i guess if it affects the cops safety then yes a helmet will be worn. on the flip side, invasive species such as milfoil doesn't affect any cop that doesn't fish. get my meaning????

by the way...i didn't bring this up earlier, but the sheriff's truck and trailer was parked in a no parking zone...he he! of course, i would never bring that one up!

I was out on Crystal on Saturday and had the pleasure of talking to the Sheriff Water Patrol. Actually was pulled over for going the wrong direction-I thought it was only when you were pulling a skier-stupid me. Anyway, two guy's and a lady were in the boat. Only one guy and the woman were in uniform, the other guy was a ride along-I think. Anyway, they checked life jackets and fire instinguiser and gave me a warning ticket. The guy was very nice, the woman seem to be a bit jaded. I got what I had coming. I had my two nephews from out of town in the boat fishing for pannies, they have never caught a fish, so, they had a great time and got some Sheriff decals. I think they have a special spot to park when they are on the lake.

We where fishing out of Warroad a couple years ago and when we come out of the fishing cleaning house(which is maybe 2 blocks from landing) the DNR was waiting by the boat and asked if we had drained the live well, which we replied no because we where only in for lunch and was go right back out. He said that he was going to write us a warning for not doing the complete boat check at the landing and draining the live well at the landing. He never asked for a fishing lic. or even asked how many fish we had.

Subd. 2.Exceptions.

Sorry but I have been told by DNR that there can be no weeds on boat or trailer when leaving the access. I have been checked often in kandihoyi county and others. They do a great job. On other comments I am glad they are more concerned on the safety items on boats than rather just fishing licenses although the people who just asked about safety items were probly the safety patrol and not dnr

OK so the boat is in the water and the trailer is empty and still in the access? What is the problem? Until the boat and trailer leave there is no violation. Get over it. You make a smart azz comment and expect him to fall over himself thanking you for the reminder that he did not do anything wrong. Everyone has their favorite law enforcement story to tell about how the cops were wrong or picking on them or enforcing the wrong laws. I would suggest you keep your yourself squared away and you will not have any problems. If you don't, quite complaining about getting caught and whining about how the unfair the cops were. There are plenty of people that go through life without ever running into the police, sheriffs office or any other agency in a negative way. What is your excuse?

Jim next time at least complain to the right agency, and make sure a violation occured. If you want to file a complaint about a deputy working for the sheriffs department call the sheriffs office not the police department, unless you would call Target to complain about the shopping carts at Walmart.

It's my experience that the exact details on how things really went down especially the Law enforcemnt type of threads rarely if ever are exactly hows things went down.

Of course this is just my opinion and I have no idea what happened because I wasn't there to see it...LOL

Having re-read this thread several times, the facts as

stated are:

1. Sheriffs truck/trailer parked at landing WITH weeds on.

2. Sheriffs boat at dock.

Now we only need to know the SEQUENCE of events......

did they LAUNCH the boat with the weeds attached from a

previous lake ??? If so, that was wrong.

Or, did they aquire the weeds from the same landing they just

launched at?? If so, no violation has yet happened, UNTIL

they leave the landing without cleaning the trailer.

Without actually witnessing them launching the boat,

we don't know if the weeds were present going in, or

just coming out. I'm not trying to flame anyone, I just

need more facts before I come down on either side.

this has been fun and full of interesting comments. i have been looking at these forums for over a year now, and always learn something or read about a great fishing story involving taking the kids fishing, etc. i can tell that most eveyone on here really enjoys the outdoors and is truly concerned about our rivers/lakes. i also want to note that i do not start many threads, nor do i comment often.

with that said, i should have changed the subject line to Local "Sheriff's" Dept...oops my bad!

secondly, i believe that all of us can tell the difference of caked on weeds vs. a few strands of milfoil hanging off the trailer.

lastly, the sequence of the 'events' are not important, as the trailer clearly had caked on weeds all over...very simple. there is no way those weeds got there by launching just once. not a huge task here...clean them off - period.

i can't believe any true angler would ever take the other side on this issue, but here we go! i'm really glad that all of us are not competeing in the tv reality show Survivor, as i would have hung myself with 30lb briad by now...he he (Oh, come on...now that was funny!)

keep the comments coming, and i agree with Jim - it would be interesting to see if the Lakeville Police Dept forwards this to the Sheriff's dept for comment, but let's not hold our breath.

for the record...i have no beef with local law enforcement, as a matter of fact, i'm starting my Criminal Justice schooling this coming winter. my plans are to spend time in the law enforecment field, and then apply with the MN DNR. this will be a third career in my life, and really looking forward to tthe challenge.

Pictures of the trailer with the weeds "caked" on would have helped.

I have been to Minnetonka a couple of times, and when pulling out the trailer from launching the boat(just once)it was "caked" with weeds, on the frame, and rollers. I don't know what lake they were at, but the order of events does make a huge difference when it come to when the weeds were on the trailer.

I live on a newly infested E.Milfoil lake - That stuff is nasty and can make a mess of any lake. 3 years ago, didn't have any noticable Milfiol off my shore, now it is so thick, I can't use a crankbait anywhere off my dock without getting full of Milfiol weeds.

ANYTHING we can do to help stem the spread of invasive species is a GOOD thing, no matter how insignificant it may seem. Once these things make it into a lake there is really no getting rid of it. It is great to see so many people willing to confront people to help slow down the spread.

Totally agree with the opinion of setting an example regardless of what is printed in the rules. If people see others cleaning weeds off their trailers, it will set examples for others.