• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nice Brown Trout

erikwells

I caught a 17 inch brown trout last week. What a great fighting fish. He hit a small spinner next to a cut bank. I had a heck of a time landing him. I quickly took a picture, revived him for a bit and watched him swim off. It was my only taker of the day. I might even get a replica made from the picture being it was the largest stream brown I have ever caught. I couldn't keep him. I hope someday to try to catch him again or better yet have my son try to catch him. Maybe it is just me but there is something almost magical about native wild trout. I have no problem taking some stocked rainbows out of a lake but wouldn't think about killing a wild native. To each his own. I just wanted to grouse about the wonderful fish I caught. He really made my day.

erikwells-
Nice fish and good release. A 17” Brown is a good Brown in my book. Wild one even better. Congrats!

fish4ever1000-
You are technically correct in that Browns are not indigenous to North America, however, a naturally reproducing Brown I think can be considered native to that specific stream.

Mike

That's why I used the word TRUE in the previous post.

What you guys are refering to is the naturalization of browns to a particular stream, meaning that species is able to reproduce NATURALLY in the given stream system.

An 18" brown is indeed a fine trout in anyones book. Congrats.

...17" whatever

[This message has been edited by fish4ever1000 (edited 06-23-2003).]

Great job on that 17 inch brown Erikwells.

Great to hear that you released the biggest brown you've ever caught.

Good luck catching him again Erikwells.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

Good job Erik!
Since you mentioned having a replica mount made, I heard it's pretty easy for most taxidermists. I think the only things you need are a couple dimensions and a photo for most guys to do their magic. I think trout mounts usually look superb. Let me know how it turns out if you do go in for a replica and thanks for releasing such a monster for others to enjoy.--wade22

Thanks for the responses. I lived in Colorado for 5 years and fished Dillon Resevoir, straight creek, Blue River, Tennessee Creek, Twin lakes and the list goes on. This was the biggest Brown I have ever caught. I enjoy keeping some trout as much as anybody (stocked rainbows) but the thought of keeping this fish was unthinkable. It was my last cast and ut was 1:00 pm. He fought like a champ and the chance to tangle with him was a gift the way I see it. He pulled me under a cut bank and I didn't think he was ever coming out. When he decided to he was bent on flying down stream and stripped about 30 feet of line. He even jumped and came back up stream and tried to get back under the cut bank again. I am so happy he is still in that stream. I can't wait until my son is old enough to go with me so I can watch him try to catch this trout. Maybe having a child explains my increased enthusiasm for releasing wild trout. I have always released wild trout but deep down I would have liked to keep a few. This is no longer the case. Thanks for the responses and I hope all of you get half as excited as I do when I catch a quality fish.

Wait till you catch a big brown in a float tube and he pulls ya around in circles! I got a 5lb brown last summer. I had one on the day before that might have been even bigger after about 10 mins he snapped me off,never did get to see it.

CPR(Catch,Photograph,Release)!

Rob