• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stupid Dog!!!

Jim W

All,

Took my Father out for a few hours of wading yesterday.
We ventured to one of my most familiar stretches of undesignated water.

After getting permission from the landowner we drove down to the waters edge.(real nice deal I might add).

Enjoying the wonderful weather, story telling and simply taking in as much as possible, we arrived at our starting point.

After pulling a few fish in I hurried our movement upstream in anticipation of better trout water.

Out of my right ear I hear a splash, thinking it was a redhore or some eager smally breaking surface.
Not surprising at all, it was a DOHHHG, nammit. Right in the middle of the stream.

I looked around for it's owner, no owner. As we approached, it spotted us. At first, I wasn't sure it was friendly. No tags or anything. It's head and snout scarred from some unseen battle. So I looked around for a branch or something.

Unfortunately, it was too friendly. Each time I approached it, tryin to "shoo" it away, it ran ran full boar into the stream...upstream.

I spent nearly 30 minutes trying to get this "Stupid Dog" to leave. Not chase our lures as we cast, not jump into a run I was approaching!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm thoughts of carrying a concealed came up! No one would have ever known!!!LOL

All in all, a hot day wading, with not so hot fishing, time spent with the man who always encouraged me to fish when I wanted..... and a Stupid DOG!!!

Happy Father's Day Dad!

Jim W

I had the same thing happen on the Elk River while wading for smallies. A dog showed up out of nowhere & jumped right in the river. It was a very friendly dog, but I couldn't cast without it chasing down the lure. He thought I was playing a game with him. It was too dangerous to continue that. So I had to throw a big stick down river & get him to chase it before I could make another cast up river. He'd bring it back & I'd throw it again. But that got real old after a while & I had to give up & move on. Vern

I had something simular happen to me.

I had called it a day and headed back to my car.

About half way back I heard a lot of splashing going on around the bend just ahead of me.

When I got around the bend I seen a dog running back and forth across the river. I looked for a owner but seen no one. It didn't take the dog long to see me and come over and say hi. After meeting me he turned around and took off back down stream.

By the time I had gotten there he returned with his owner.

I stopped to talk to the dogs owner too see how fishing had been for him. He informed me that fishing had been slow so far. He hadn't caught or seen a trout yet. As he was telling me this I watched as he's dog ran upstream through ever hole and run, only to turn around and run back the same way to his owner.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

This is not a stupid dog story.
One fall day a few years ago, I took my nephew out duck hunting, before he left to join the navy. We were hitting all the potholes on public land, we were in the southern part of Pope County jumping a hole, when all of a sudden the dog started barking . When I looked up I saw what looked like a grey wolf, I yelled at my nephew to grab the dog and head back to the truck, I went around the pothole to keep this creature away from my nephew and the dog. When I got to the truck,this thing was right behind me I turned as if to shoot then I saw the dog tag below the neck. this dog was skinny,and hair was all matted. I put my gun away and was about to jump in the truck when this dog also tried to get in the truck. I looked down and his leg was bleeding, being the softie I am I put the dog in the back of the truck and took him to a vet in Glenwood.
The dog had been in a trap for a while and it had cut his leg. The vet found the owner and this dog was from Battle Lake,and had been missing for a few months. Needless to say the owner was very happy to have his dog back, since it was his only companion since his wife died. I now have 10 acres of land I can hunt whenever I want, in Battle Lake, but you now what I will never go there, I'm just happy the dog and owner got connected again.

Danny