• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SE MN Trout????

Hello,
I live and fish a lot of trout in Iowa, but I'd like to spend a little time trout fishing in SE Minnesota. I fish trout using small jigs with an ultralight rod, hence I prefer smaller streams. Through doing some research on the internet, and by talking to some experienced fishermen, I'm interested in fishing the South branch of the Root River and the Whitewater. Do you Minnesota trout fishermen think my way of jig fishing will be effective on your waters? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

Welcome Greg,

I've only tried the jig fishing once this year(probably shuld use it more often), but had outstanding success on a green twister.

The fish were stacked in a pool and were falling short, behind the spinners and raps. Put on the jig and twister and caught two consecutive browners!

How do you like using them?

The South Branch is nice water, but if you like "smaller streams", get a hold of a SE MN trout map and take a gander. Lot's of small water in between and around whitewater and the South Branch of the Root river!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

Jim W
I usually use very small jigs, like a 1/64 ounce or a 1/32 ounce. Also, I typically start fishing a pool with a jig that has a lot of flash to it, so I can judge how deep I'm fishing. I've had good luck with this simple combo over the years, especially this spring.
Are the Whitewater and the South branch of the Root bigger rivers for the most part? Is there a lot of wading involved? Are the holes obvious?
Thanks,
Greg

I have used jigs for trout in Minnesota and Wisconsin and have had great luck with them. They seem to work best on rivers that get alot of fishing pressure or on days when a river is getting alot of fishing pressure.

The Root river and Whitewater river systems are big trout streams for Minnesota. You may want to do like Jim W said and get a SE MN trout map and find some smaller water.

Beaver Creek is a great trout stream and is small. It joins the Whitewater river a couple of miles down stream of Elba.

------------------
"Study to be quite"