• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

SE MN Trout????

Hello,
I live and fish a lot of trout in Iowa, but I'd like to spend a little time trout fishing in SE Minnesota. I fish trout using small jigs with an ultralight rod, hence I prefer smaller streams. Through doing some research on the internet, and by talking to some experienced fishermen, I'm interested in fishing the South branch of the Root River and the Whitewater. Do you Minnesota trout fishermen think my way of jig fishing will be effective on your waters? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

Welcome Greg,

I've only tried the jig fishing once this year(probably shuld use it more often), but had outstanding success on a green twister.

The fish were stacked in a pool and were falling short, behind the spinners and raps. Put on the jig and twister and caught two consecutive browners!

How do you like using them?

The South Branch is nice water, but if you like "smaller streams", get a hold of a SE MN trout map and take a gander. Lot's of small water in between and around whitewater and the South Branch of the Root river!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

Jim W
I usually use very small jigs, like a 1/64 ounce or a 1/32 ounce. Also, I typically start fishing a pool with a jig that has a lot of flash to it, so I can judge how deep I'm fishing. I've had good luck with this simple combo over the years, especially this spring.
Are the Whitewater and the South branch of the Root bigger rivers for the most part? Is there a lot of wading involved? Are the holes obvious?
Thanks,
Greg

I have used jigs for trout in Minnesota and Wisconsin and have had great luck with them. They seem to work best on rivers that get alot of fishing pressure or on days when a river is getting alot of fishing pressure.

The Root river and Whitewater river systems are big trout streams for Minnesota. You may want to do like Jim W said and get a SE MN trout map and find some smaller water.

Beaver Creek is a great trout stream and is small. It joins the Whitewater river a couple of miles down stream of Elba.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• So reviving a dead thread ..

The "park switch" may be the cause of the parasitic draw on some of the console equipped models, 
      it's an inexpensive switch that sends a shutdown signal to the BCM. When it goes bad the dash lights do not shut off and it drains the battery. 
      Fords fix is to replace the whole shifter assembly at around $650.00, they do not sell just the switch. 
      Here is the replacement switch with an more detailed explanation of why it happens.

Its under e bay listing 292931561061
    • I leave it behind on purpose at times..........
    • NOT in some of the places i go fishing.................AND most the time i go fishing to get away from said phone!!!!!!!
    • Sounds like a good seminar!
    • After starting out the winter with a lack of snow February is making up for it. Earlier in the week the southern half of the state received 4 to 6 inches of snow and in the last couple of days the north and northwest received from 4 to 8 inches of snow.Snowmobile trails are now open in most, but not all, counties across the state with conditions rated as good or excellent in many counties on the Wisconsin Department of Tourism's Snow Conditions Report (exit DNR). Many state properties were regrooming cross-country ski trails and ski trail conditions ranged from good to excellent. Some freezing rain fell in the south after the snow, resulting in some icy conditions in some locations. Temperatures are expected to warm this weekend, especially in the south where more rain is also in the forecast, while the north is expected to get more snow.With all the recent snow, conditions should be excellent for the American Birkebeiner Ski Race this weekend in the Hayward-Cable area. It is the largest ski race in North America and attracts thousands of skiers from all over the country and world -- skiers from 49 states and 36 countries participated in 2018 -- and draws tens of thousands of spectators to the area. .
    • I doubt it but you can call the DNR and ask. You can pull up the regs on a smart phone anyway.
    • ......The 6 packages from the first round are long-gone, so I am brining up another batch. Ended up buying an entire case of butts (@ $1.18 per #) from Sams. I am going to do 3 butts - one with High Mtn buckboard seasoning and two with another dry brine consisting of Tenderquick, brown sugar, garlic salt, and black pepper. I always like getting to the raw ingredients of spices versus relying on someones "magic rub". If it goes badly I will revert back to the HM cure. As an added note, I also picked up a $20 loin that I put HM cure on to experiment with some Canadian bacon.... Will check back in 10 days or so!  
    • if thats the case i hope there printing water proof versions!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant keep mine nice and tidy in the cab of my truck!!!!!!!
    • Have not heard this. Why just a boat? It needs to be in some peoples buckets to so when their 500 fish over their limit they can't say I no know, I no know? 🤷‍♂️