• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Straight River ?'s

I posted this under the Park Rapids area forums, but thought I might hit more trout anglers in this section...

Heading towards the Straight river Sunday thru Tuesday...
I am planning on camping, but don't want to drive from Itasca to the Straight every day. Any suggestions for camping near or on the Straight River?

Also, I am planning on bringing fly and spinning gear. Is there any local area shops that will sell flys(Hex's)?

Finally, are there any areas that I should concentrate on? Never been there, so what I really need are some roads/bridges/accesses that I can get to so I can fish on foot?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Call Bob Mitchells fly shop in Lake Elmo. Mike Alwin is who you want to talk too. He will give you details on what you need, access, etc. Bentley's Outfitters is another shop you can call. They will have info also.

Summit Flyfishing in St. Paul had a guy that worked there that fished the Straight quite a bit, so I would also call them.

Barrage, you can access the river at any bridge from Osage down to Hwy. 71.

The Straight in a wading river. It runs mainly throught bog and the few streches that run through some woods is private property.

Bring the bug spray.

I thought the hex hatch didn't start until about then end of June early July. I could be wrong.
Either way you should know that the hex hatch is not a day time hatch. It starts around 11 pm.

As far as spinning gear to bring, spinners and rapalas have always caught trout for me.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

------------------
"Study to be quite"