• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Float Tube Fly Fisherman???

protrapper

Anyone here float tube fly fish? I cant think of a better way to fish for trout. I also stream fish. Most of my exploits are on the North Shore of MN mainly Gunflint Trail area.

I love to fish the Hex hatch for the big brookies and bows. I do a few guide trips for guys up there with a friend of mine. All fish are released with barbless hooks. Just wnated to know if there where some fellow tubers on here to share some spots or b.s. Later...

Protrapper, i love throwing flies from the belly boat. i have'nt done it for a while but planning to give it serious time this year. I am planning on fishing some good smallie lakes with the tube, and there is a lake near me with alot of browns in it, that average 7 pounds and have been caught up to 15. gets me pumped just thinking of it. good luck

cherndog,

I dont know if its legal to belly boat in the metro??? Anybody know?? But I do all of my float tube fishing on the north shore, thats where alot of guys go. There are alot of lakes there to tube, where you cant take a boat with a motor or you have to hike to.

The main thing is to buy good gear mainly tube and fins. If you want to know a good place to go for gear is the Fly Angler, they will set you up with the right fins and tube.

I prefer the doughnut style tube, because thats what I feel most comfortable in. As far as fins I have the snap type ones with the padded ankel. Cant recall what there called off hand. And a good life jacket, and always wear it.

I got a story for you why you should wear a life jacket and buy good gear.

A friend and I took a guy on a lake to fish, he had brought his own tube and fins, but he didnt bring a life jacket, after we told him too. So any after we looked at his tube we saw the innertube was a cheap rubber type that pops and tears easy. You want to get the truck inner tube kind. Trout Traps make that kind thats what I have. Anyway 20 or so min. in the guys fin breaks, the next thing you know he says heck I think Im sinking and sure enought he has a leak in his tube. Now the guy is all the way across a lake in the middle of no where. Thank god we gave him a life jacket. So we get him to shallow water and he gets in my friends tube to go to the other side of the lake. Then I bring the tube back so my partner can come back.

When we looked at this guys tube there was a hole in it the size of a nickel. And he said he put it together the night before. So he calls us up to say he returned it to where he got it and he got his money back after he told Sportmart he almost drowned.

So be careful out there if you try it.
It is the funnest way to catch trout in lakes.

[This message has been edited by protrapper (edited 05-13-2003).]

Protrapper,

What a great story. This weekend I fell out of a boat on White Bear Lake. It was cold enough for the few seconds I was in the water.

As far as the north shore I caught some steelhead years ago but have not fished up there since. I am picking up a float this next weekend. When and where on the north shore would you suggest? I would like to try for trout or salmon this fall.

Cherndog

I dont fish Salmon up there the run is pretty weak. But I tube a heck of alot, Im leaving tomorrow. Any of the designated trout lakes are great for tubing. Heres a list of good ones.

Mink, Kimball, Trout, Pine Mtn., Pine, Thompson, Carrot, these are just a few that I like and tube alot. Mink and Kimball are right next to each other. But like I say any trout lake up there is good.

Go to the DNR site they have a list of all the trout lakes in MN and what type of trout are in them..